how often do you need to have the groundy let a piece run for your safety?

So typically does the fiberglas crack/break or is there a mounting plate that is loose/rusty, etc.?

Is it typically mis-use by the operator (e.g., pushing a top that subjects the bucket to too much stress) or neglect of equipment?

I know sweet fa about buckets but I'd hazard a guess that the fiberglass deteriorates after accumulated mistreatment/general wear and tear/the elements. Its not the most robust material.

Many different ways it could separate. A good practice is to look at where/what the Fiberglass basket is bolted to. I had to replace my basket on my last truck. Sent photos of the cracks in and it was not a candidate for repair.

I would never fly a boom without giving it a good once over myself, critical welds, pins/retainers, hoses, Fiberglass. Look before you leap!

How many here regularly or ever test the accumulator/safety valves that are supposed to hold the cylinders in place in case of a failure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A guy got killed in Vancouver not long ago using the bucket to push a top: http://www.langleytimes.com/news/156497695.html?mobile=true
from the commnet section:

Tim Gannon
ihave known lance for 20 yrs worked with him alot avery good friend what he did was pushing the tree with bucket it separated from boom seen him doit alot I will miss him dearly RIP MY FRIEND.

Alos seems to be some comment about him not being tied in with a harness...

DId anyone see a video from the article apparenetly he was trying to hinge a piece over and cut the back cut until the top sat back.. he then used the bucket to push it over... when the pressure came on the bucket it separated from the boom... Notice that the above comment says that he used to do that "a lot"... he probaby weakened the fiberglass over time and this weas the final straw... good to be aware of this safety issue... he defintely should have been using a harness tied off to the boom...

So typically does the fiberglas crack/break or is there a mounting plate that is loose/rusty, etc.?

Is it typically mis-use by the operator (e.g., pushing a top that subjects the bucket to too much stress) or neglect of equipment?
Never seen a fiberglass boom break. The weak point is where the bucket attaches to the boom. I did see one ripped off and hanging by the hoses. As Squish says, a thorough pre-flight inspection every day will save you a lot of grief.

Really a tragedy;
But there is a difference between setting the bucket on end to leverage over;
and only applying/metering the weight of the person(s) in bucket at high leverage point to flex hinge
>> to a point of relieving, not increasing stress on bucket attachment.
VS.
In excess to above,
using boom arm to further force down on target,
increasing, not decreasing pressure on bucket attachment/joint
and in the opposite direction that force was meant to be carried on that joint (mite make difference in some scenarios).
i'd think if you were 3-5' or more from hinge pressing down with 150# man weight
and not flexing hinge
have either closed face (or closed internal face/dutchman) or need more backcut.
pressing down with own arm or FORKED STICK/spacer would in general not force bucket joint.
i know an excellent climber; maid me respect his quick 'nickling and diming out ' small pieces instead of rig, rig, rig..
He had a bucket shear off, working for someone else, didn't know bucket history etc., and broke his pelvis.
i'd say always be safetyed to boom..

As far as letting stuff run so it misses me I guess I don't worry much about it. If it is a groundsman I know and trust I'll take as big of a piece as I can and trust the dude not to hurt me. He trust me not to smash him to death when I bomb stuff out right? Why shouldn't I trust a guy who has proven himself?

If I don't know the guy I'll rig something up different if I don't feel confident in the guy on the other end of the rope being able to handle it. At this point though if I work for a crew and I don't know the ground help it is typically a landscape company and not a tree company who hired a climber for a day to take down something like a 50' Red Maple so it is rarely an issue.

You raise both booms from the pedestal. Kill the motor, then actuate the levers to move the booms. Valves on the cylinders should 'lock' and the booms shouldn't move no matter how much you move the levers, or how long you leave them sitting. Specifics will be in your manual too, which is law up here to have in the truck.

This is obviously so if you lose power or blow a hose, the whole shebang doesn't come crashing down, or even 'float' down. Depending where you're at with the boom, could mean life or death.

Exactly. I made it a point to somewhat understand what I was trusting my life to. After I paid for my first annual inspection, I was like 'really?' Obviously like most things in life my safety in regards to using this boom is going to be based on my own inspections/understanding. It's good to have critical welds x-rayed but beyond that my own 'inspection' was much more thorough imo.

Easy to get complacent.

I only had versalifts and the manuals were excellent. I imagine most are.

You raise both booms from the pedestal. Kill the motor, then actuate the levers to move the booms. Valves on the cylinders should 'lock' and the booms shouldn't move no matter how much you move the levers, or how long you leave them sitting. Specifics will be in your manual too, which is law up here to have in the truck.

good one squish.. I need to learn this!!!!

I almost never require a ground man to do anything a certain way for my safety, when it comes to lowering. I cannot remember the last time I relied on something like a smooth run for my safety. Even Lawrence, in the video you referenced on TB, Daniel, was taking the usual precautionary avoidance measures.
Far more often than needing a run for my safety I, say things like, "Don't worry about me."
Or, "keep it up." "Settle it down up here." Or, "tie it off and back away."
Does anybody else find themselves saying similar things?
"Don't be a hero."
"If you misjudge the weight, your hands better be burned."
"We aren't cool yet, we're only cool if we leave without damage."
Don't get me wrong. I love a good run. I just rarely require one for anything more than efficiency and happiness, not so much safety.

Since we switch hit between climbing and ground work, I never work with groundies that are not well trained and 100% trustworthy, so for me the question is somewhat moot.
The combination of a good rope man and SENA means I rarely worry about stuff like that.

Yup.
As much as I enjoy having a great rope man , I agree with August. I was dealt green as can be for a long time, so I learned how to adapt so I was never in danger from them. Even the best will make a mistake from time to time. I choose to make sure they CAN'T kill me.

I almost never require a ground man to do anything a certain way for my safety, when it comes to lowering. I cannot remember the last time I relied on something like a smooth run for my safety. Even Lawrence, in the video you referenced on TB, Daniel, was taking the usual precautionary avoidance measures.
Far more often than needing a run for my safety I, say things like, "Don't worry about me."
Or, "keep it up." "Settle it down up here." Or, "tie it off and back away."
Does anybody else find themselves saying similar things?
"Don't be a hero."
"If you misjudge the weight, your hands better be burned."
"We aren't cool yet, we're only cool if we leave without damage."
Don't get me wrong. I love a good run. I just rarely require one for anything more than efficiency and happiness, not so much safety.

That's what Im talkin bout

Back