how often do you need to have the groundy let a piece run for your safety?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s8NjfFsFD-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the video scene that inspired this thread. Its from one of AUgust's new videos featuring Lawrence Shultz. I hope neither of them mind me posting this. Obvious that Lawrence knew exactly where the swing back was coming and positioned himself behind the spar for protection... Still I think its time to reconsider permantently avoiding these types of cut s with improved rigging techniques

Nice, have to admit though,
sometimes i had set myself up to allow swing back to me as i had in brain choreographed to dance aside,
then as it was coming back out throw down to ground.
Still, need good ground control you can trust,
each know what the other man can / can't do.
(should always and all ways be ready to step aside as shown!)

That's the old mentality.... I've seen climbers do some impressive evasive moves ... but is it needed??? could the piece shown have been rigged to not swing back????

... As my Ski Patrol Director used to say ... "You are over thinking this" . We are either free falling , hoisting , or lowering that is all. Stay within proven accepted practices and your personal limits w proper equipment and training odds are you go home safe. Do let me know if you have something new though Daniel

My last one was in a oak with 3 heads inserted at the same point. All the limbs under where already cut. My rigging point was hight in one head and I mid/tip tied the smallest head. I expected a swing with some sideway movements due to the angles, so I put myself between 2 leaders to cut this third. I thought I was in a sufficient safe place. Nope.
The head start to lean the way I wanted, broke loose and began a nice swing. Problem, it didn't come back soon as planned and slam in the other leaders, but it continued its trip all around and behind me. I can't go anywhere with the lanyard. Bam ! the wood on my both sides took most of the hit and stop the thing, except 2 limbs which went right in the middle, push me in the back and embedded me in a mess. Ouch ! No harm but a bruise on my back and my pride, and 2 broken earmuffs.

Next one, I'll take the time to butt-tie the piece. It seems to be a good solution, at least partly, because outside redirects aren't always possible.

10.4 on the butt tie...if it is only a wrap or two on something to introduce some control on that dangerous butt (tame some of the wildness...unpredictabilty) and buy some time to repositioning safely...that's a good solution for me.

I think that is the kind of thing Murphy is looking to get discussed.

rigged a bunch of sizable limbs from the bucket truck yesterday. Best TIP for a good drop zone had most of them wanting to swing right back at the bucket. With the horizontal limbs you can but tie them, get above them and reach down for the cut so the rope swings down past the bucket, sometimes sliding off the lip of the bucket .. (one actually grabbed by saw scabbord and sent it flying, that was a first).. With the uprights its a little harder to stay high enough above the knot/cut to keep the rope from catching on the bucket.. Bucket work is a much differnt game than climbing in this scenario. If you;re climbing, you position on the far side of the swing and start cutting. You never have to think about it. not an option in many bucket scenarios. There seems to be a lot more info on climbing technique than bucket work out there. I was able to tie a lot of big limbs off and then swing the bucket back around the other side of the spar to make the cut and be completely protected, but it takes a lot more time and many cuts can't be accessed like that. Any bucket ops out there dealing with similar scenarios???? I will not rely on the groundy allowing a piece to run to keep from getting torn up by the rope or the bucket from getting slammed.

I guess that it's better to avoid the jerky moves in a bucket, so a slow hydraulic system would be my best choice if I have to drive one.
(This gear scares me !)

one good trchnique in the bucket is to notch and back cut a piece or snap cut etc till its ready to go then move the bucket out towards to top/tips and push to trip the cut... pretty sure most bucket ops use that one..

Are you talking about using the basket or boom to force the hinge? I'll raise up higher on the piece and push by hand but I really try to avoid pushing with the bucket.

Push by hand, I 'spect.

I have used the elbow of the boom to move a rigging line before to get the lowered limb into a better position.

Are you talking about using the basket or boom to force the hinge? I'll raise up higher on the piece and push by hand but I really try to avoid pushing with the bucket.

done it both ways, but rarely use the boom... generally cut til its ready to go and then push by hand... usd the boom a lot to push the rope into a better DZ and pulled from time to time with a sling and biner to help the groundies out..

Back