SRT beginners ?

Broncman

Treehouser
Just starting my SRT equipment collection. Right now I have a CT foot ascender, Petal Ascension hand ascender and a GriGri.

The only rope I have currently is 1/2" New England Hy Vee. I read on Sheril Tree rope guide this rope is for ddrt ,not recommended for SRT. Is there any danger in using this for SRT or is it just not optimal.

I know the GriGri is not supposed to work on 1/2" but it fits fine and I have done 2 twenty foot climbs using a RADS type set up.

So, can I use this line for SRT until I get more rope?

I like the HH setup, tough, compact and economical to upgrade or maintain. Dial it in right and tending isn't bad.

HH2 is great for choking the stem when your on spurs. Wrench is a little smoother on descent, at least until the HH breaks in. I like them both.

No danger that I can think of but it is going to be a pain in the dick unless you like ball pits and trampolines. Beyond that call the manufacturer with questions about safe use. No comment on RADs, I have something similar but I'm not using that system with that rope so I can't comment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys! Hopefully I will get to experiment more this weekend. Once weighted the rope has not been real springy the few times I have used it SRT. I just got a 20% off at Sherrill's. Might use it for more rope.

try theschultzeffect.com for copious amount of SRT info ;)

i think the Hy Vee isn't really rated for ascenders, so if you slip and load the cams they will shread the rope. if you buy a new rope try to get one that's ascender approved :thumbup:

Back