Shotgunning

Willie, get off that stump.
Nobody will ever believe that that salmon was so big anyway, so give it up.

800 shots with no misses? He's a regular Andy Oakley.

Funny thing is, it comes natural to Gordon, his dad is a hellofa shot also. The kid tried it, started kicking butt from the start. He's had very little professional coaching.

Damn good kid to, he'll stop just to see if you need help with something.

Ed

Obviously coaching and practice helps, but some people are just naturals. It's really amazing that the human brain and body can make instantaneous calculations and adjustments for speed, distance and lead needed to knock a clay or live birdie out of the sky.

Ray, while Gordon is pure hell on clay targets, they are predictable, to a point. He's good on live game, but that not good.

My dad was pure hell on live game, i recall one time, 3 rooster phesants going up, 5 shots later, 3 roosters went down. We also had damn good dogs, labs, he would add a new one every 4-5 years. Let the old ones train the new.
He wasn't cut no slack when he was a kid, you wanted to get the bird, had to be faster than dad & uncle Frank. All had humpback Remington autoloaders ( Browning Auto 5's made by Remington under license). Ain't a one got much blueing or finish left on it..........

Ed

Ed I used to give the birds heck too, dove, snipe, quail and ducks. Where I grew up, snipe were super abundant and we had great habitat to shoot them in, miles of watercress farms. Snipe are easy when they first flush, flying straight away, but when they get a little air under them, they turn into gyrating bundles of embarrassment for most shooters. Quail are pretty easy if you can get over the racket they make on the flush but wild quail are nearly extinct in a lot of the south anymore. Never fired on a pheasant, but it sure looks like fun. The auto 5s and the Remington 11s are true classics, I'd treasure those polished 11s.

Spent many enjoyable hours in the field with my family, Ray. Cherished memories.

One humorous story...grandpa had an orchard, he wasn't hunting much by the time I was 16. He used to sit behind a big bush in the yard and shoot blackbirds as they flew into the cherry trees. I had to stop there every evening, climb the tv tower, get on the roof and throw the dead birds off. Every few days he'd give me money, had to stop at the k-mart store after school and buy gramps more shells.

Ed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Grandpa hated snakes, with a purple passion.

I pulled up to his house and got out, he threw open the door in a damn hurry with his old Marlin 12 gauge. I did the only thing I could think to do, I put my hands up!

"Get the hell outta the way!" There was a big rattler right between my feet. I scampered into the bushes and grandpa obliterated el snakeo.

Spent many enjoyable hours in the field with my family, Ray. Cherished memories.

One humorous story...grandpa had an orchard, he wasn't hunting much by the time I was 16. He used to sit behind a big bush in the yard and shoot blackbirds as they flew into the cherry trees. I had to stop there every evening, climb the tv tower, get on the roof and throw the dead birds off. Every few days he'd give me money, had to stop at the k-mart store after school and buy gramps more shells.

Ed
Great story Ed. Sounds like K-Mart was the go-to place for shotgun shells. We lived a long way from a store growing up and I remember running out of shells one day, a buddy and I driving to town, buying several boxes and heading back to the dove field. We pulled out the boxes and found that the guy had sold us 16 gauge shells instead of 12. I'll never forget the swarms of doves that surrounded us as we sat there looking at those shells. Shortly after that I bought reloader.

This guy was under some wood I was putting in the boiler yesterday. First time I've ever seen anything other than a garter snake in the wild. No shotguns involved. Not sure what I would have done if it was poisonous, they can get in the house, and that wouldn't be cool.

IMG_20160809_192152416.jpg

Milk snake.

I don't always shoot snakes, but when I do, I use a 1958 Browning Superposed Diana grade 12 gauge. Actually, I have never had the need to shotgun a snake.

I have a 4' rocket that, when loaded with the right ($25) engine, will blast a flame not unlike a skud rocket.

It's pretty impressive, but it requires a perfectly calm day to launch if you ever hope to recover it.

Nowadays I can't find a large enough clear area to launch it.

I bought it at the Hobby Lobby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went into the back yard and hand threw myself some clays before my buddy gets here.

Went through 50 rounds with my new Weatherby auto, and 25 with my little Mossberg .410.

I just hold the shotgun with my left hand at my waist, and chuck the clays with my right hand. No hand thrower, just grab em and toss em.

Getting so I dont miss hand tossed doubles, 80 percent or so on hand tossed triples. Have to take the plug out to try a hand tossed quad.

I love it that I can walk out my back door and safely shoot and no one can hear me.

I have to stay sharp so I can whip his ass later. I guess its cheating that I brush up a bit before he gets here.

Back