Shotgunning

FireFighterZero

Captain Zero!
I have an 870 in .20. Love it. Never competed at clays but I enjoy it. Place in the bay area that had sporting clays, that was a blast...

Clays are fun, yes.
Jim, if you really love your wife, get her a Rigby over and under.
Or even better, a matched pair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would have to sell my house to afford something like that! And still not have enough!

Actually the .28 is for me......wife gets along fine with a 12 gauge. She has shot my Benelli 12 but likes my friend's Ultra Light Benelli 12.

If we like this Weatherby, we might look at one in 12 for her. Half the money of the Benelli. The gas operated guns shoot softer than the Benellis too.

Been stuck thinking the 12 was the cheapest to shoot, but now 20 gauge shells are about the same.

Have the Ithica model 37 featherweight in 12, I'd rather shoot the ol heavy Charles Daily 10ga. Overkill for clays tho.

I was joking, Jim.
I just happen to know the price of a set like that, because back when we took care of a game reserve owned by a super rich asshole, he shot that combination only in side by side.
I looked it up and found that while the side by side was 36 grand a piece the over and under was 30% more.
So once when the gamekeeper was bragging about the bosses guns, I said: " Well apparently he couldn't afford the expensive version". Shut him right up.

Blackie.....I have exact same Ithaca...got it new in the 60s. Also have the Deeerslayer barrel for it...special short bbl for slugs.

My son commandeered it a few years ago for home protection duty. Now I have to borrow it from him when I use it.:/:

Jim I use a browning o/u .28 gauge and luv it!

Bought it for upland game but use it for trap as well

026.jpg

With my 37 the only time I noticed any "kick" was with slugs or buckshot...6s - 8s...no problem.

Always reliable, quick action, easy to carry.

My cousin failed to check his one year....first shot he found out there was a dirt dauber nest (mud plug) in the barrel...burst the barrel so he sawed it off short. :/:

I used to shoot a lot of trap when I was a kid. A friend had a featherlight and I noticed a lot more kick than the Model 12 and double I normally shot. A guy let me shoot his Browning Superimposed shooting skeet once. Even though the gun didn't fit for beans my score went way up.

This was my first shotgun...in 20 gauge. I still have it, about 50 years old now. It is the one I remember kicking a lot. (not my gun...snagged these picts from web).

Attachments

• ithaca mod 66 lever action shotgun 2.jpg
    ithaca mod 66 lever action shotgun 2.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 84
  • ithaca mod 66 lever action shotgun.jpg
    ithaca mod 66 lever action shotgun.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 84
Damn, late to the party, as usual.

The 28 gauge is the most underated shotgun out there, skeet shooters know, everyone else is ignorant.
I've had a 870 in 28ga for years, knocked the hell out of the South Dakota phesant population for 6 years with it. Use a Winchester 1oz load, it's the same as a 20ga with a more consistent pattern.

The 18yo neighboor kid is a national champion skeet shooter, his best gauge, yup the 28. Last year (in multiple competitions) he went 1200 straight with the 28. Competition skeet shoots all 4 gauges.....he finally got a perfect 800 last fall.
FWIW, he shoots a Kolar overunder with tubes.

Ed

Sounds good but I have no understanding of scoring in that. I've only ever shot for fun. Mostly off of mountain roads over a clear cut

400 is a perfect score, I.E. No misses in 400 shots. The 800 and 1200 are multiples of that, if I'm understanding correctly.

Not shot much sheet, but it's good fun.

Back