Open water swimming

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1hr 55
I feel like I need some water if I'm gonna go go past 2hrs. I should be good for the 2.4 distance though. I wonder how the one does a 10k swim without support

That is unreal ! Thanks for the heads up. I still wonder about how often she would eat and drink....

The Diana Nyad story is equally impressive. A lot of support to fuel her effort

The Diana Nyad story is equally impressive.

A good buddy of mine is Diana's logistics guy. He owns the water sports venue at La Samanna on St. Martin where she trains. He set up her transit for the Cuba swim and ran the show for the swim.

Wow...small world. 100 miles in 48 hrs is insane. CNN has a pretty documentary on it

no hells mouth? he's gonna have to start training.

1hr 24 min, 2.4miles
current at parts was a slap in the face

fun though. gonna do it again. Top finisher was 53 minutes.

took your advice Gary. Event was started in groups, which mine was last. I stayed outside in back away from madness. As they started to slow i worked my way up. passed 40-50 folks.

1.2 mile course/ 2 laps
seemed impossible at first . So i put on the iPod and just swam. get way to tune out nursing school stress . Did well on both exams this week which made swim even better........now to just keep it up through winter.

side note:
hydrated heavily for 2 hrs prior. Yogurt, 2 bannas, one kind bar and a sweet potato over course of 5 am to 9 am start. Hit a GU pack at start.

still had gas left at end......

Sounds like you had a good plan and worked it...and it worked! Very good show on positioning and energy/hydration. Congrats on a good finish.

I don't think I posted this before...one of several videos I took of our last year's "cluster fock"...a Triathlon that our Dive Team ran water safety for. You can see our dive boat in the beginning. I was the only kayak last year. This year another diver used his kayak as did a swimming coach that was monitoring his student's swim.

We had about 30 people in the first heat still in the water when they released the 2nd heat...another 50 or so. Made me plenty mad. We put a stop to that foolishness this year...told them WE decide when the next heat gets released or we don't do the water safety. They reluctantly agreed.

Full blown idjits they are...last year at the briefing before the event the director was resisting our recommendation to stagger the heats more...I told him we wanted a chance to rescue tired swimmers, not to have to recover a body. He replied, "isn't that what a Dive Team does, recover victims?" A real idiot. I almost came unglued. I wanted to drag his uppity A$$ about 200 yards out and see if he could swim. And if he could see if he could swim with me on his back. :angry5:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lPdGagaqkcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last weekend my wife and participated in a swim race. Emily did the 10 k. Won her age group at 2 hours 27 min. I did the 2 k. Won my age group (there were 3 of us) 44 minutes.

i tell you what Gary....some of those people had no business out there!

5 k next for me. At the rate I was swimming, a 10 k would have taken me 3 hours 40 minutes. I thought I was swimming fast too. The route was through a string of small lakes. Really beautiful. The 10 k was there and back. The 5 k is one direction. That's next year for me. Emily just signed herself up for the bridge to bridge swim in sN Francisco next summer.

I think I could have handled a 5K this go around. It takes me about 20-30 to get into a really good rhythm. 10k would crush my ass at this point......there is time though.

my avg was 35min mile, but i actually got faster on last half of swim

Yeah me too. The first K was hard and I was trying to catch my breath, The second K I got into rhythm and imagined myself as a sea mammal in a pod. I got next to another swimmer with a nice pace and good sighting skills and stuck with them. I sprinted the last 200 yards or so. The feeling of coming out on land after a hard swim is crazy. It's hard to get your feet under you.

Back