Old saw pics

RegC

TreeHouser
Some pics from the forestry museum in Duncan BC. I was up there just yesterday with Roger (rbtree). Hopefully he'll post a broader range of images when he gets around to it. It's a pretty cool place to visit if youre into that kind of thing

2016-07-16 19.06.31.jpg 2016-07-16 19.06.00.jpg 2016-07-16 19.05.29.jpg 2016-07-16 19.05.00.jpg 2016-07-16 19.04.35.jpg 2016-07-16 19.04.10.jpg 2016-07-16 19.04.10.jpg 2016-07-16 19.03.49.jpg 2016-07-16 19.03.19.jpg

From a time that men worked like real men, and probably smelled like it!
The beaver brags of 1 man power saw 35#;
1 man chainsaws debuted in the 50's;
and with this 'bigger gun' man went to prove he could take bigger prey;
just like he did with the buffalo and bear....
olde saw reciprocating Nico Henkens.jpg

olde%202%20man%20saw%20Bernds

olde%202%20man%20-Lewis%20Brander%20withDisston%20DA-211

olde Bow Saw-Marshall Trover's (Custom)

olde chainsaw on wheels-Marshall Trover.jpg

olde saw Nico Henkens.jpg

olde saw-Karl-Arne Andersson (Custom).jpg

olde2.jpg

olde3.jpg

olde4.jpg

olde5.jpg

olde6.jpg

olde7.jpg

olde8.jpg

olde9.jpg

As far as i know the last photo(nor any) is not re-touched
>>and the apparition of the legendary Green-Man(link_1) just seems to be there..
As if ready to speak for the trees, in place of the Lorax(link_2)?
Green Man as a legend and a phenomenon is found across (supposedly) unlinked pre-Christian ancient cultures, then adopted into architecture and churches!
A male counterpart, (son of) Mother Nature; from a time people lived 20 years and a tree could shelter, fuel, tool and even help feed a family for generations as it grew as all else, but about didn't seem to die as all else...

Good Gawd those sawyers must have been sooooooooooo tough and strong

I have the Time-Life book called timber fallers .It talks about the transition from the east to the west .Eastern loggers could axe fall and cross cut a 4 feet diameter oak to the ground in about 4 hours .Those western Douglas fir and red woods it might take a week .Can you imagine?

I don't see how those two horses could possibly budge that big stack of logs, in the snow! And what's keeping them in a vertical stack?!

i think it was common to have an impossible load for the photo and then they would break it down for actual transport.

it wasn't like everyone had a camera on their iphone.

photos were a big deal.

Well, get 4 of these, and a sled on a watered down, frozen skid road, and bet they could move that load.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gWRscujkPxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I logged with horses in my youth.
In the Swiss Alps, in terrain where the only other option was a helicopter ( That is what they use today).
That is one reason I chuckle a bit, when the PNW types call me a flatland logger:)

This Belgian Petra is really a dream horse for that kind of work. Responsive, able to lay into a pull slowly, and clearly enjoying the work.
Not to mention RIPPED! Not a gramme of extra weight on her, such a beauty.

I would love to see how she behaves in a logging environment.
The last horse I worked with was seemingly unspookable. I've laid big white fir down 30 feet from her and she didn't even twitch an ear.
Cut a wooden wall out of her stable with the chainsaw once, right behind her.
I fed her first and the grain was clearly more interesting than the chainsaw.

That's cool Stig. I had a neighbour when I was a youth who logged with horses. I went out with him a couple times really cool.

Never ceases to amaze me the pressures that horses can get used to. Most horses sure love having a job.

Cool pictures everyone, thanks for sharing.

We took Lora, our big Freiberger mare out with the "wagon" yesterday for the first time this year.
She has been lame.
Seeing her joy at being able to do her job again, reminded me of myself, when I've been laid up with injuries and finally made it back to the woods.

Derail, sorry.

Horses i've wondered about, all i could figure is they helped get them started with levers, and fairly friction free snow.
Spars do looked tied down.
Glad we got phot-chop cuz that would be a LOT of extra work for a prank, hard to tell if snow that disturbed.
And then unloading logs, leaving there to come back...
If i was faking it, after i took pic i'd bring out 4 more horses(easier than unloading )!
What about a bow saw without spur ?
Especially such an infamous snubnose Diston type that consists of only the bar tip they tell you not to use on any bar!
Poulan%2086%20bow.gif

olde%20Bow%20Saw-Marshall%20Trover's%20(Custom)

A real favorite of the safety crowd would be when Bow advertised at all for even bucking,
but for felling..:
plunge_bowsaw.png

Another book in my collection is titled endless tracks in the woods, covers the era of tractor logging .It starts out with showing horses ,mules etc .The most powerful were oxen that could pound for pound out pull big draft horse but were the most difficult to control .They often might have a 20 oxen team dragging those huge logs over skid rows .

Back