Shooting Cans

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Get your 22-250 out and obliterate it at a safe distance would be my advice.

I hate fish.

I hate lentils but I still eat them, don't think it'd be much fun shooting them.

Smoked mackerel is nice but canned isn't, makes alright fish cakes though.

Haven't had kippers for a while but I do like herrings now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I take it you haven't ever seen a can of anything hit by a fast expanding 22-250?:D

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!
Lenghtwise is best
Edenlentils.jpg

It would seem even less so after a hit from a 22-250.:lol:

I know you do, that is why I mentioned that particular cartridge.

stig, what is your opinion of using .243 Winchester, or .30-06 for canned fish shooting? I don't have a .22-250.

stig, what is your opinion of using .243 Winchester, or .30-06 for canned fish shooting? I don't have a .22-250.

30-06 is way overkill on a can of fish. Also too slow for a good result. You want that can to really splatter.
That is the only way to tell dead fish in a can that they are REALLY dead.
A good choice would be to use the 22-06 in your rifle.

.243 will work just fine, I just have a long time preference for the 22-250 as a can opener, going back to when I shot a can beer ( Coor's) at 150 yards and it flattened out like a sheet of paper.

Slow down there cowboy. I have some 110 grain Speer bullets for a 06. You can shoot a gopher, get out of the pickup, walk over to where the gopher used to be, and be struck by the falling head and torso.

Overkill yes, but I got some bullets that would work!

How about this? At my gun range you can shoot out to about 1000 yards, lots more if you jump a pasture.

We could take the labels off the cans, paint them orange, set them at lots of different yardages, and try to guess what was in them when they explode?

Anyone be up for that?

Jim, I'll be with you as soon as my economic sitiation allows me to.
I don't shoot living things for fun, cans are fine with me.

Unless I get disarmed by the lefties, you will be able to enjoy shooting what you want.

You coming to visit might be a good enough reason to expand the arsenal.......might be able to write that off. Varmint control. Them cans are really starting to take over the place.

Are vegetable off limits? I like shooting turnips.

I like shooting anything except critters. Killing for fun has never appealed to me, but on the other side, I've never had any problems killing anything when I had to.

Just looked in my old reloading manuals, and it seems like your 110 grain in a .30-06 is almost 1000 fps slower than the 22-250.

Not enough splatter, sorry!

With lentils and mackerel, you REALLY want to blow them apart, or they do the zombie thing on you.
Zombie lentils, now there is a thing to make you shiver in the dark.

, you will be able to enjoy shooting what you want.

Careful, I might just take you up on that:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hmPUAk4G3xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Smallest bird I will kill and eat is a mourning dove.

A house sparrow must not have much meat on it.

Speaking of cans, I took the kids to the back yard and shot some cans with my new Red Ryder bb gun.

Lynley got several with out my help. Richard boy needed me to line them up but he got some too. First time for both of them.

Pretty cool.

Back