Owner Operators

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 103
  • Views 11K
I would call that fighting even if the bully never threw a punch back.

It is amazing how workplace bullying can get to even strong positive people, if they are subjected to it long enough and can't afford to quit the job.
Some of you may remember Clara, the daughter of my former neighbours, who worked for us in her holidays and weekend since she was 17.
She works as a waitress now, and apparently one of the cooks make a sport out of hassling the girls serving tables real hard.
Her mom told me that Clara had been crying over it, so I figured I'd go down to the restaurant and have a friendly talk with the guy sometime when she wasn't working.
Actually, friendly doesn't work well with those, so my plan was to ask him to come out behind the building, kick the crap out of him and tell him ( Kindly) that Clara is under my protection, so mess with her again and I'll come back , this time not so friendly.

I've done some bodyguarding for women with violent,stalking, estranged husbands over the years and those guys are usually real tough when they are up against a single woman, once they have the shit slapped out of them, they cool down fast.

Then I found out that her stepfather had beaten me to it:D

You can still reinforce the education.

Bullying is a major cause of suicide amongst school age children.

I'm glad not to have to do it, Jay.
I would have and would probably actually have felt good about it,because I HATE guys like that, but there is always the threat of the cops getting involved.
Vigilante action is frowned upon here in commieland.

Also, I like her step dad a lot, so it was nice to find out that he has the same approach to things as I.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
owner operator, feast and famine...

I'm not sure what's the deal, we have less work on the books right now than we've had in a long time, only 2 weeks out.

I was excited last Monday, 7 bids. I bombed, didn't get one!

We switched our schedule, Monday bids, Tue-Thu trim work, Fri odds and ends. It's been a great schedule so far. Just need to keep it full8)

All in all I'm still in love with the lifestyle going into my third year, the honeymoon has ended, time to knuckle down and endure.:)

That sounds like an ideal schedule Levi. I've always said if I go on my own it'll be four days and maintenance/ bidding the fifth. In theory it sounds good.

Two weeks, this time of year, should be no big deal.

Do you have BIG signs on your rigs?

When you're busy, you bid stronger. You get less. I've bid stronger lately and got less work. More margin per job.

I'm only a couple days out on jobs, but then I can get some more shop time, which is needed. Its coming. I haven't had a real break in two years, it seems. Hard to get around to repairs and preventative maintenance.

If you've got good truck advertising, you can park it advantageously, when needed to advertise.

Yes, we have good signage. Perhaps it's a market thing, but I can't remember ever getting a call from someone who said they saw a truck.

I hope you catch a big break this summer, Sean, you deserve it.

That sounds like an ideal schedule Levi. I've always said if I go on my own it'll be four days and maintenance/ bidding the fifth. In theory it sounds good.

If you went solo, with your work ethic, you would seriously clean up.

Stress isn't so bad.

I always step back and think about people in really bad situations. You know the sort of thing, Syrians drowning in the Mediterranean, Indian street children, then I realise I'm just a privileged little moaner.

Great perspective. My worst day in business added to the rest of that week is far better than most people ever got to experience today or throughout all of history, in my opinion.

I endeavor to complain about nothing.

Levi if you need more work give Google Adwords a shot, I just turned mine back on a few mins ago cos my calender is pretty bare atm. Theres no commitment etc so its pretty risk free, I pay someone to manage my campaign so I'm clueless on technical details but I do know that it causes my phone to ring.

Right now I'm working my guts out. Trying to take a day off once a week for the sake of my guys, but I normally end up doing bids or grinding stumps or something. This is my first year really being on my own. In the past when I dabbled in it I always subbed a few days a week. Now I don't have that to fall back on and I'm doing a cash grab.

I'm desperate for a chip truck, a mini skid, and a stump grinder. All of that will happen this year but I want it now.

Willie, just so you know, my earlier post wasn't directed at you. It's a saying a friend of mine use to use. What you said just reminded me of it.

I've been stomping around the house all upset like and now you tell me I didn't need to? ;)

Back