Tree Work Videos

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 4K
L

Levi

What camera, computer, software are you using?

What is your inspiration for making videos?

Do you have any tips or tricks that make it easier?

Thanks for any answers you choose to give!

Go.

2x Contour Roam, I thought the old one kicked it when it fell out of the Queens giant, but came back to life. Easy to use, 1 switch on and off, ok quality.
1x Drift HD720. clunky, fish eye, fell out of the last tree, dont know if it works now.
Laptop as powerful as you can get, more RAM the better, I just got 24 GB and it really is fast. Software just Windows Movie Maker, basic, no effects/fx, gets the job done.
Tips - think about the final shot, and what the viewer would like to see as POV. Only press record when you are in action and stop as soon as its over, makes for easier editing, and shorter more action outcomes. Inspiration is to remember jobs forever, make something artsy, that others may enjoy, or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like your inspiration Ben!

I also use the movie maker, I might try something different now that I have a faster computer.

I'm with you on the short clip taking, if you let the cam roll too long it is a PAIN to edit!

I'm not so sure about that, Butch. While, for the viewer, drones add more perspective to this work I don't feel they're must have for good content. Just my feelings. At the same time I do enjoy the novelty of the perspectives.

Go Pro

Magix Fast Cut

Only recording the action is a good one.

I think of it like game film. You can catch stuff you did well, and things you need to work on.

Drones seem to work well if people are really interested in the results they get, lesser infatuation with the drones themselves.

Surfing looking into the tube is cool, but shots from above boring.

I use Final Cut Pro for editing on a late 2012 MBPr that was top of the line when I bought it.

Camera wise I use a Canon Vizio G20, I would like to get another or two at some point. I also have a DJI Inspire One Pro for a drone.

My inspiration is selling work, equipment, or both, usually.

I like the "game day" mindset Grendel, it's weird to watch yourself, never looks like I thought it would have!

I like your inspiration for filming Carl, I hope to get a nice little series on YT showing how things happen on the job. Some nice short, clean, professional and narrated vids for the custys. A friend of mine has a vid called "Longmont tree removal" that does very well (first page) on the search engines.

Is anyone using movie maker with Windows 10? I'm having trouble getting it downloaded... Any advice?

Well you motivated me to try again and it worked! Just wouldn't do it yesterday. Thanks Ben, that's all I needed!

Drones are not cheap either. $1000 at least for a half decent one ....and then you need someone to fly the thing as well as get the treework done. I can see how it makes sense for August because it's his passion and perhaps a significant part of his future. But, I think most tree workers wold sooner take the money and buy a new saw with it.

So outdated...

But Jerry B was filming! :)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eqVQgP0eDvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg, I think I read someone talking about a "follow mode" feature, sounds nice but maybe even more expensive.

Butch, that is an awesome video! Blast from the past...

Reg, I think I read someone talking about a "follow mode" feature, sounds nice but maybe even more expensive.

Butch, that is an awesome video! Blast from the past...

They do all kinds of stuff I believe. I think orbit mode would work well also. You max out at about 30 minutes flight time within that price bracket, so no doubt you'd have to clear minded what you wanted to capture. Being a tax right off would take some of the sting out if it, but it's still a chunk of money. I'd be more interested in capturing the landscape here than wrecking a tree.

True, it would be fun to have, just not a smart investment for me right now.

I guess not...

And it ain't the first vid anymore.

It was the worst homeowner hit I've ever seen... probably killed him.

Back