201tc sawdust behind air filter

MrMoon5shine

TreeHouser
so I have had my 201tc for a month or so and am loving it, great little saw. BUT today i was using it and was noting a lot of fine sawdust was getting past the air filter and even collecting inside the carb. I washed with mixed while holding the saw so gas would not flow into carb. I was cutting fir mill ends so more bark than wood, wondering if I should worry about this or just know that cutting that kind of wood will do this to a saw

20160630_123502.jpg 20160630_123536.jpg

Last edited:
How well does the filter sit in the recess? Also check for tiny holes, especially if you clean it with a high powered air line. I always find that a tiny amount gets through - especially when cutting thick flakey barked softwoods, but that does seem a little excessive

I've been having the same problem. Showed the dealer and they said I messed up the filter somehow. Put a new one in and same thing the next day. I've just been cleaning the saw a bit more often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok thanks, glad i don't get a lemon but it can not be good for the carb. what type of grease colbeskill? it seems to seat every well there's a click and its tough to pull off. meh a little more cleaning doesn't bug me as long as its not damaging to the saw

Can't be good for it, long term especially. Carbs generally don't like that fine crud. Most filters leak a smidge, but that looks like way more junk getting by the filter than "normal".

I don't feel there's ever been a stock air filter for a chainsaw that could catch all the particulates. Especially redwood dust, and burned bark.

Is the Green Weenie still around? (K&N) It was an after-market air filter a lot of Husky owners used, and swore by. Still, if you looked in the air box particulates were still there.

I remember the early Sthil air filters were total junk. They are better today, but can still stand some improving upon.

Some fallers I knew tapped out their filters every time they gassed up. Some cleaned theirs only once a day. A few, once a week.

Clean, fresh air. Got to have it.

I don't feel there's ever been a stock air filter for a chainsaw that could catch all the particulates. Especially redwood dust, and burned bark.

Is the Green Weenie still around? (K&N) It was an after-market air filter a lot of Husky owners used, and swore by. Still, if you looked in the air box particulates were still there.

I remember the early Sthil air filters were total junk. They are better today, but can still stand some improving upon.

Some fallers I knew tapped out their filters every time they gassed up. Some cleaned theirs only once a day. A few, once a week.

Clean, fresh air. Got to have it.

Hey Jerry, was that why a lot of the pictures in your books show saws without the filter covers, and these big round air filters? Were those all aftermarket?

Thanks!

Yeah they were Grendel. You can still get most of those filters, including the Green Weenie from Madsen's.

Hate to hear that, was thinking about pulling the trigger on one. I know Scott (BOTTS) has a new one too, maybe he will weigh in.

I get no dust/dirt behind my filter..... just checked it after removing 5 small/med pines that I climbed last week, clean as a whistle, but the filter was dirty and doing its job..

Check to see if filter body is distorted because there should be not dust behind filter.....replace with new one.

I'm not familiar with the saw .However look at the pictures .Does that gasket have a tear in it from the left 0 ring down? Looks like part of the gasket is on the cover and the rest on the back plate .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
talked it over with some of the local saw guys and we are thinking I either had a big cip that I didn't clear before putting the filter back or didn't seat it properly before putting the case back on, as the case does not screw on but is just a quarter turn latch. it has not happened since then but will be keeping an eye on it.

Back