Petition to stop the sale of public wild lands

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't be difficult, big Jim. You want it bought up by some multi millies and be barred from it?

I could never hope to see all of it.......not trying too hard to be difficult.:)

From a county and State point of view, Federal land can be a blessing and a curse.

Why not keep this land in the hands of the Govt, and log and graze it at the same time?

It wont be 'some' multi millies either. It will be "the ... "

A Chinese corporation bought a winery and its associated land in the Napa Valley. They are going to go in and cut over 30 thousand trees - decimate the landscape in that area.

They are on the hunt. I hear that the Chinese have bought a lot of mountainous land over here, areas with water on them is something that has special appeal. I haven't run into any no trespassing signs, except those put up by locals all freaked about their mushrooms and other fungi getting taken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:thumbup:

Sign dat petition!

I'm not much of a petition signer myself but this appears to be a good cause and is painless/easy.

It wont be 'some' multi millies either. It will be "the ... "

A Chinese corporation bought a winery and its associated land in the Napa Valley. They are going to go in and cut over 30 thousand trees - decimate the landscape in that area.

Geez, and all this time I thought the Chinese were big environmentalists; not!

It seems like there ought to be a law against such sales. A foreign government with really deep pockets could deliberately buy your country out from under you in order to also deliberately exploit it for short term profit, but also to try to dominate and demoralize a perceived enemy.

That's just the conspiracy theorist part of my brain talking, here.

I signed the petition.

Tim

By the way, in the "about" portion of that petition website, they say their organization only consists of five people, I think. Pretty amazingly slick website and effort for such a small group of folks.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Cory. That's how they get ya; flying under the radar, doing one thing not obviously related to the end goal. Pretty sleazy, in my opinion. It does an end run around public discourse over a really important public policy decision. I think the companies or entities that are attempting to do such an underhanded thing should be brought out into the light; let everyone know who they are, and see if it affects their business.

They're all about profit, so if they start losing a lot of customers as a result of these underhanded attempts, maybe it will help to slow them down a little.

Tim

Very. We are burning cheap gas right now (for some finite period) because the Saudis are purposely choosing to loose billions of dollars in an attempt to drive shale oil producers and frackers out of business.

The Saudis are buying our refineries. That's scary.

Thanks for that, Jim; I had not heard about that. That would seem to me to be a national security issue, and therefore not legal. If the Saudis, hypothetically speaking, owned 100% of the refining capability of the world, wouldn't that allow them to dictate the price of the end product, no matter what the price per barrel of oil happens to be at the moment? It could also have implications for the economy if they decide to simply stop producing the end products.

I just heard from a friend, though, that there are other places in the world with plentiful supplies of refined oil, so maybe this isn't as big a deal as I feared, at first.

It would seem to me to make sense for America to retain its ability to produce the end products of industry, just for the sake of defense, though.

Tim

Back