New to splicing

Someguy

Treehouser
Hey all,

I'm getting started in splicing 16 strand climbing rope, and I'm trying some New England Hi-vee, and the final bury is extremely difficult. Is it just me, or is it something I'm doing wrong? I can get it to move about 1/8 of an inch each pull before I have to work and lossen the rope.

Could easily be convinced I'm doing something wrong, but is this rope just that difficult? Any tips or tricks I should know? I'm using a wire fid and I'm having to put it in a vice while I use my entire body to pull against it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I think adding some extra length to the tail measurements and creating an even longer,more progressive tail is the ticket. Just remember how much you added and be sure te cut it off after you drive er home,if it's still too tough,a wise man may recommend some KY,but lots of us are successful on the 16 strand without that🤗.

Welcome to the house!👍

Hey all,

I can get it to move about 1/8 of an inch each pull before I have to work and lossen the rope.

Sounds to me like you're doing it right. It's supposed to be challenging to get it to go in. If it goes in easy, it comes out easy. And yes, I'm only talking about splicing here.

Keep doing what you're doing. Flex and massage the rope. Beat it with a mallet if you have to.

Welcome to the site!

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like a soft rubber mallet personally.

Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel better about the two splices I've done then.

I was just watching the Wesspur video of the guy splicing Arbormaster rope and he didn't seem to have nearly the difficulty I was. I just wanted to get some thoughts on if I was doing something wrong.

Might have to get an attitude adjustment wrench based on the suggestions here.

Now for the fun part of sending my splices for break testing to see how I did.

It's not easy. IMHO Allgear 16 strands are super easy to splice, great place to start. Sometimes I will leave a tight splice in my truck cab, the time and heat seems to loosen things up a bit, seems to bury easy after that, at least for me it does. ;)

Try burying the core/cover in two stages. I exit the improvised core just before the bury and form the eye. Once that is done I reinsert the wire fid and do the final pull. The hardest part is the area where the original core and improvised core pass through the same cover. The way I described you are only having to battle through the final part, not forming the eye aswell.

Hope this makes sense as it has been a while since I last spliced 16 strand.

I have been burying the core in two stages. First to were the core comes out and then the final bury.

I probably just need to do a few more splices.

If it's used rope, wash it first and soak it in water, or as others have suggested use sex grease.
For the final bury on 16 strand I use throwline instead of a wire fid, broke to many wires and found the need for something flexible. Hook the rope to something stout, tie the throwline on a biner clipped to your saddle and work your weight into it. It'll go. I sorta find comfort in how hard a 16strand bury can be...

Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel better about the two splices I've done then.

I was just watching the Wesspur video of the guy splicing Arbormaster rope and he didn't seem to have nearly the difficulty I was. I just wanted to get some thoughts on if I was doing something wrong.

Might have to get an attitude adjustment wrench based on the suggestions here.

Now for the fun part of sending my splices for break testing to see how I did.
Watching a video of somebody who has done several hundred splices that month is very frustrating. They are fast and smooth but it is the practice and repetition that got them there. Your first few splices are probably going to be on the ugly side of things and that's ok. Practice makes perfect.

I agree that watching someone who splices for a living can be a bit daunting. Just like watching a competition climber when you are first starting out, sure there are some cool techniques you can pickup but you're still gonna fall way short.
IMO practice makes permanent, not perfect. Take your time and do it as best as you possibly can. I am probably the slowest splicer known to man kind but I don't recall ever failing to complete one. If you really take your time and do it to the best of your ability you can create a good quality splice. If your like me it'll take 2hrs rather than the 10minutes or less the pros can do...

I agree that watching someone who splices for a living can be a bit daunting. Just like watching a competition climber when you are first starting out, sure there are some cool techniques you can pickup but you're still gonna fall way short.
IMO practice makes permanent, not perfect. Take your time and do it as best as you possibly can. I am probably the slowest splicer known to man kind but I don't recall ever failing to complete one. If you really take your time and do it to the best of your ability you can create a good quality splice. If your like me it'll take 2hrs rather than the 10minutes or less the pros can do...

Excellent post!!

Sounds to me like you're doing it right. It's supposed to be challenging to get it to go in. If it goes in easy, it comes out easy. And yes, I'm only talking about splicing here.

Keep doing what you're doing. Flex and massage the rope. Beat it with a mallet if you have to.

Welcome to the site!

love
nick

I wish you would make an approachable instructional video series covering this and other splicing topics...

Might just have to get those videos.....

Also, I tried a splice in Samson Arbormaster and it was much much easier then New England Hi-Vee.
Splice time was 30 minutes, rather then 90. I think a few more times and I might be able to cut that down to under 20.
Then I'll have to try again on the Hi-Vee.

Back