Workers Comp and Bucket Trucks

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Just had a carrier tell us they would cover us if we used more bucket trucks and less climbers.

Does that seem right? Just get irked every time I deal with an insurance company.

love
nick

I agree, makes sense to me.

Does it have to be a bucket truck, or would an aerial lift work as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried explaining that you can't set up a bucket truck on most of the properties we work on. Many folks here don't have driveways, or yards and they kinda live on a cliff. But it's like talking to a brick wall.

It's just weird to have someone not say "we usually could do it for this price, but since you don't use bucket trucks is that price plus a premium"

Instead they're like...."mmmmm if you could go ahead and get a bucket truck, that'd be great."

Yuck

love
nick

Their idea makes perfect sense to me. Should two loggers pay the same rate if one fells by hand and uses cable skidders while the other uses a track cutter/feller buncher and grapple skidders? Both are logging, but the second is a far safer operation with a much lower risk of a claim, everything else being similar.

How substantial is the savings? There are new 40' lifts that cost under $15k for a 40' work height with 16.5' outreach (trailer mounted) that can get down to 43" wide for narrowish access. 500lb capacity also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How substantial is the savings? There are new 40' lifts that cost under $15k for a 40' work height with 16.5' outreach (trailer mounted) that can get down to 43" wide for narrowish access. 500lb capacity also.

Wait this makes good sense, too!

love
nick

I was thinking about this on the job today so did they say use or own a bucket truck? If it's own you could always go in with some other tree guy toss him a grand just to say you "own" a bucket truck. Problem solved and now you have access to a truck if need be.

That 40' lift would be nice for many of your street trees. Once you have one, you'll use the heck out of it

Ya you could probably pick up a beater and just park it in the yard. Maybe bribe a lift inspector to have it certed every year... :/:

Willie is dead on... a little 40-45' man lift would go a long way for you Nick. Less worry about parking it as well. I would hate to have to worry about a bucket truck parked somewhere in LA let alone the parking space bill.

Just had a carrier tell us they would cover us if we used more bucket trucks and less climbers....

Find an insurance carrier that will work with you and your company vision. There are plenty of ways to cut expenses, pick the ones that will work for you.

Back