Tooting my own horn

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Guess who just became a...

3fb6a9d69bb4b8410b8368aa921c7848.jpg

(I posted this merely to inflate my ego. I admit it)

love
nick

Congrats Nick. It's a great thing that the Internet is so big. if not we'd all be crushed by your huge ego:P

Just messing, again I say congratulations.

Congratulations, Nick! That is no small feat. I'm assuming that you had the newly revised test, what did you think of it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
.... I'm assuming that you had the newly revised test, what did you think of it?

Honestly I wasn't impressed. There were too many geographically oriented. Like several questions about dogwood, bald cypress, ALB. I've never worked on, consulted on, or done anything more than idle chit chat about any of those. I was just making wild guesses.

There were questions where there answers really depended on factors that weren't clear. Like they give a scenario and ask what the best way to prune the tree, but never expressed what the purpose was. Tree species, height, DBH, decay at the trunk....how do you prune it? I dunno- maybe the client called to get sunlight to their strawberries...or they wanna keep it thick for privacy.

One question required you to know the ENTIRE trunk formula method for tree appraisal. The concept of the formula is simple. The actual formula is complicated to do by memory. The ISA has a good worksheet that makes it so you can do a tree in a couple minutes. But memorize the whole formula? Why bother?

All in all the test is fine. It was appropriately difficult. I'm glad I studied as much as I did. Coulda studied more.

love
nick

Awesome, congrats Nicks! What did you use to study, and after taking the test, what would you recommend to study with?

Nick, that is off the chart awesome! I'll toot my son in laws horn, Master Arborist # 409. He took the test before ISA gave you any clue what to study so he studied everything he could get his hands on. I am so proud of him and now you as well. Great Job!!!! Whoo Hoo!

....All in all the test is fine. It was appropriately difficult. I'm glad I studied as much as I did. Coulda studied more. love nick

Good to hear. There was some scuttlebutt that the "revision" was to dumb it down and make it more attainable. As far as being geographical, it is an international test and as a BCMA you are expected to have a complete understanding and knowledge base that will represent the entire industry, not just your local region.

Again, well done!

I hope this helps on the ego bit, Nick. I look at the board cert as a really huge endeavor wich may or may not even pan out for a guy. What an accomplishment, man. If it feels good to have done it, just know that you deserve twice that. That's a big deal. I'm about half-way studied to take my cert. arb test. :lol: :drink:

Back