Models Library.

Magnus

TreeHouser
I thought some here might enjoy this.
On ChainSaw Collectors Forum there is a huge library were members post pic's of their saws. More than 2100 models is currently listed.
We talked about opening this up for guests to see many times but web hotels we had before could not handle the traffic.
I changed permissions a bit to test and see if sever can handle the traffic.

Have a look and see, help me test it out. It may not work, but we try it for a bit and see.
CSCF Index: http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/index.php
Models Library: http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=6

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a lot more info of many saws within forum, not all is in library.

Most talk about differences in saw brands.. Here we discuss differences in a saw models bolt, nuts and washers sometimes. A deeper level of understanding and curiosity.

We have serial number lists that help us see when model versions change or is replaced even.

Lots of wonderful members happy to talk about old saws and know what they talk about to boot..

It is very cool - but imo it is a mistake that additional info on the models (including variants) aren't allowed there - basically pictures only. This makes it a lot less useful than it could have been.

We can't have all info in one place + pics. We tried that before. It doesn't work.
It would be too hard to go tru all to see a pic or get a file. Searching for info and pic's is a lot faster if you have one section with what you seek, to go thru than a forum with 30 000 posts you don't want to read. It was like this in beginning, but as forum grew, posts increased we soon figured out it was too hard to find info without search engin or putting in lots of time. So we divided it up in different sections so the guy who want a sales brochure or IPL don't need to go thru a lot of posts and read lots of stuff not relevant to get it.

For those of us collecting saws and searching for info it is a lot easier and less time consuming if it split up in sections relevant at the time.

I agree that long discussions doesn't belong there, but don't think a little information on variants etc would clog it up much. Anyway it is your forum, so you call the "shots".

Actually we are not just me. I do have final say, but it is up for discussion first before changes are made.
There is a handful of us that use forum most that try to figure out what to do and change.
We try out all ideas and see how it works first before deciding on a change. I was not too happy about the way it was before. It was way too time consuming to go thru all posts when you wanted to get a specific part of info regarding a saw. Searching takes way too much time as there was no easy way to get the search engines to be accurate. Most that use forum is after something specific. Not all info there is as they mostly already know much of it.

Those of us who contribute to forum, add stuff from our collections (for all to enjoy) and use forum frequently as reference see the value in having it divided up in sections.

In each brands forum there is a topic called "More info regarding xx). In this we add links to topics that are really good and educating.
Anyone can do that if there is a couple hundred hrs to spare. There you find links to threads with discussion.
Library section is meant to be a spot were you find info and share info. Not just pic's of saws, but all stuff regarding saws.
If you want to see pic's you go to models library.
Documents is in literature library.
Serial number threads in its own category.

Discussions in others.

Example:
Marc-Antoine posted a great thread about fixing accelerator pump carbs used on 200's here and on forum.
If this thread was in a discussion forum it would be a pain to find.
Now you go to "technical articles" section, and find this very fast.

Back