Rigging out dead trees

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey guys,

So I rarely do any rigging on dead trees. If I do its real light and small stuff, like a branch, no blocking. I have a job I'm going to bid on for two 60 ft dead spruce. Supposedly just dropped there needles this year (homeowner info) I think it's been longer. No visible cracks or bark pealing. No fruiting bodies around the base. There is no crane or bucket access or any potential for a high line. The trees are very close together, connected at the base and about 5 feet away from each other at the tops.

Lots of targets and no way to bomb stuff down. I've thought about strapping them together as I climb the popping a real small top off(catching it on the adjacent dead tree). Then transferring trees and doing the same with the other top. Hopefully that makes sense. Any thoughts on rigging scenarios would be appreciated. Walking away and passing on it is not out of the question.

Thanks

Any pics? Sometimes I'll go back in google street view history to see when trees started to die, kinda freaks HOs out when you know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've tried to get some decent pics but there all crap. Too much stuff in the way to get a good view of the whole scenario. With the way the rest of the yard is kept I believe they are oblivious to the situation.

Vertical speed line trunk wood onto brush pile or tires to minimize ground damage? Thats a great way to minimize shock loading for any dead tree rigging.
Strap or tie co-doms together is a nice way to minimize forces as well when topping into a block. I generally feel comfortable negative blocking dead trees (we do primarily Ponderosa, Lodgepole, Spruce, Juniper, Siberian Elm) depending on time dead, as long as roots are good and the ground can run em... I'm very risk adverse and play things in my favor.

Gin pole is a good way to go... I would have to see pictures. But I am wondering if really strapping them together is all that. In as much as you are possibly spreading or sharing a load, it can really create some adversity in rigging things down. Straps in way. Things hung up in straps......

I agree with your original assessment. Skin them both down to a small top and catch the one with the other.

If you have a pair of pulleys you can put one on each leader. Providing the angles are right this will help share the force between them & compress the union when loaded. I have done this a lot with trees that are splitting or with suspect unions.

If there is a clear spot around but no anchor you can sink a Duck Bill Anchor and do a near vertical speed line off the spar your not on.

Biggest Duck... is 5K I think and sunk five feet in the ground.

I have done two together using both w out binding them together. Kept pieces reasonable. Nice to be safetied in to the tree not taking the lowering load.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All good, all done. Ended up strapping them together. More of a peace of mind thing. Rigged out small tops while in the adjacent dead tree. They were not as stone dead as suspected. Still went slow and cut small which ended up going real fast. Thanks for the insights.

And Murph, not to gloss over your pics. I love seeing your rigging setups. Beating the snot out of True Blue, and really having the creative control to implement some advanced load distribution.

I bet you have fun at work. Probably way more than me. . .

Cheers

Back