apple tree question

Ohh a new guy!!
Hi there Treemender, welcome to the site :)

I'm enjoying following the conversation here, fruit tree pruning is fairly new to me and I get quite a lot of requests so all information adds to the knowledge base.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Back to the espalier apples. Two trees, planted same time. The gall on the one that has it seems to be getting worse.

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sticking with Burr Knots. See it on certain dwarf stocks. Tree is usually fine but it can affect the fruit production. It's putting more energy into trying to root than fruit.

I think you may already be following. ArborMD

Seems you've been doing this for quite awhile. Gotta Lotta good content.

About 16 years. I'm quite lucky with most of the work I get. Try to do just pruning now as I'm over removals. My sap lust days are done.

I enjoy the healthcare and retention side now. Stem injections, bracing etc.

SRT has kept me going longer than I should have.

There is a thread going on tree injections...come over, be interesting to get your input!

Back to the espalier apples. Two trees, planted same time. The gall on the one that has it seems to be getting worse.
Maybe the bad looking is made with a quince tree as a rootstock. This tree uses to do plenty of burr knots. Not this exact shape though.

So is a Burr Knot a type of aerial rooting?
I initially thougjt Agrobacterium gall but now I dont know

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Curious why one doesn't have it, and they're side by side. The upper branches on the one doesn't have it yet, so I can keep an eye on it.

Back