apple tree question

Yeah, i was thinking those aphids too making those galls, but no mention of bugs or seeing any of that white fluff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never seen any of the white fluff, and I spray Safer soap on it regularly.

I think this is the closest thing to an Apple thread.....

Does fire blight hit apple trees? Google says it does....

Also, what do people do about all the bugs and stuff that attack apples and the trees? Spray? These are 12" diameter trees about 25' tall. Good fruit up top.

8ae4deca1a13c6b5174d0f14163c79eb.jpg

d49605f42da3081e72cc22c90005c1c3.jpg

Always better fruit on top. The sunlight boosts the sugar. Hence the ugly umbrella shaped pruning many do to give all the apples more light.

These two definitely had the umbrella shape.....half of one was turning brown with I'm assuming black fire blight and probably some root collar rot from how she was irrigating it.....hosing the trunk.......the other had wooly apple aphids and kinda fatigued look.

Does anyone pressure wash the trees to mimic heavy rains in an area with no rain?

Fruit trees in town are a pain.
Yes, they get fire blight, was pretty bad here this year. Need traps for coddling moth and apple maggot that should be monitored weekly through the growing season so that you know when to spray. A spray at the wrong time is useless

I haven't nailed down the exact timing for spray yet, but agree it sure makes a difference. This year our Fuji had a bumper crop, and most of the apples were bug free. What was left we gave to the neighbor to make applesauce.

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6378.jpeg

The comice, on the other hand, has struggled ever since I put it in. Very little fruit, some years none. This is fireblight, yes?

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

By that late in the season I'd expect that entire affected part to be dead but the distance picture looks right. You should be able to follow TBD branch back and find the end of the canker and prune it beyond that point.

Some pictures from this summer on my company page Bob if you want close ups

Burr knots I reckon, possibly aphid or borer but also humidity and heat can cause this. Needs cutting out regardless as they often break under any weight

Back