Replacement Dee's?

BeaverMonkey

TreeHouser
So... My boss accidentally ran over my crappy plastic toolbox full of my spur climbing gear, with a split-dump. Luckily I was letting another climber borrow my spurs, so they survived, but all the rest of my hardware including the D's on my old weaver leather saddle got trashed. Amazingly, the textile parts of the saddle seem to be OK, but I wouldn't trust the D's at all. Wondering if there's a good replacement option? Really big bow shackles with the threads tig-welded shut? Anybody done something like this before?
Thanks,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish! Lucky I had my 'backup' saddle with me. I'm sure not taking my MCRS out on that jobsite.

You shouldn't have to tell him. He should man up and do what is right.

There are no replacement dees out there. Attempting a DIY repair would be unsafe.

You need a new saddle!

Yeah, that's what the 'safety' part of me is thinking... just seems like there should be some way to fix new D's on there somehow; rest of the saddle looks OK.

I agree. If the Dee's are smashed, who knows what kind of forces the webbing and stitching had to endure. It may never matter, or it may not matter until you shock load it in a critical situation. I honestly can't imagine mangling a critical piece of my guys life safety equipment and not offering replacement. I mean I understand money can be tight, but we're talking about a couple hundred bucks here. . . How shoestring an operation is he running??

:/:

Tbf, who knows where the bag was placed, maybe it should have been put somewhere less likely to be run over.

As for the harness, get a new one.

Yeah - probably should have put my kit back ON the truck; lesson learned! But it really was out of the way...

If the guy doesn't step up on his own, without prompting, to replace your gear, it is time to look for another job.

It's not "out of the way" unless he cannot run it over. Prolly his fault, maybe yours. If you put it on the ground you are giving someone the opportunity to run it over.
Most sites are organised chaos anyway, machines roaring, guys shouting.

Devil's advocate and all that......

It's not "out of the way" unless he cannot run it over. Prolly his fault, maybe yours. If you put it on the ground you are giving someone the opportunity to run it over.
Most sites are organised chaos anyway, machines roaring, guys shouting.

Devil's advocate and all that......

No, you're right. Next time, I'll sure as hell put it someplace that would take an act of God to get a truck on top of it!

Mick.
What would you do in a situation like that?

Unless it was a completely clear act of stupiditry on the beaver's side, wouldn't you step up and replace?

Yep.
But if you can play devil's advocate, so can I.:D

I had a saw that was run over by an excavator. It was a way way out of the location where work was being done, sitting against the base of a tree. The guy (boss) just acted like it never happened, but that's in character, him being a cheap sob. My feelings on the matter are different from something having to be on the truck or wherever, there reaches a point where someone should be paying attention to where they are going when various equipment is around. I don't blame myself a bit, but still out a good saw. :(

I've always operated with the rule that if you run something over it's your fault, period. You should always do a walk around before moving a vehicle.

That same boss backed into me once with his excavator when I was bucking. No damage, just made me lose my balance and lightly fall over the log. Fortunately he was going slow. He apologized for that, but not the saw. The saw incident bothered me more, the work when he backed into me necessitated working close. Kind of a love tap. :|:

Back