Red oak bark defect.

dstimber

TreeHouser
Our forester came in today from looking at a tract of timber and was curious about a few of the red oaks on the property.
They had long strips around 5" wide running vertical up the first 20 feet or so of the tree and the bark deviations in the strip ran horizontal. Sounds almost like an injury to me. But he is claiming there are 20 or so with the same thing going on.
Sorry no pics and he isnt a phone literate guy either. I will see if he can get some in a day or so.

Any ideas what could be going on ?

If we cut the property im going to get him to mark them so when they are sawn i can see what is going on internally.

Denver

Sounds like what we call frost defects. We have a lot of it around here. Timber buyers here throw it in the pallet pile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He mentioned it looked like cold weather could have caused it. I may have misunderstood how he was explaining it but I took it as the bark was there only that the ridges and furrows ran horizontally and not vertical. I donno lol. Ill do my best to get some pictures or see if he can for me, and explain it in a little more detail. He did say he only saw it in the northern and shumard oak. It has to be something interesting anyway because it takes a lot to get him thinking about stuff like that enough to talk about it and question it.

Would be my guess, too.
We used to see that a lot in ash, here.
Back when we had winters and ash trees.

Does sound a bit like frost cracks but consider a glancing lightning strike too. Really need pics though

Back