Big leaf maple

RegC

TreeHouser
Use HD setting. Just me and Jared. Easy stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hThzYmBMeEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't you just hate that helpless feeling as a a big piece of wood is helicoptering around, getting ready to slam the trunk and you're frozen there, just hoping the groundie will let it run a bit... While I AM sure you were safe, I think there's a chance for monkey see, monkey do trouble for some rookie... And even then I just don;t know why anyone want to tie them but heavy when there is plenty of room to tie off just below the balance point.. Much smoother action, down and away!!! and its likely insignificant difference in the forces generated...

Not a fan of the Humboldt in that scenario either. You and August seem to cut them as SOP. Plenty of reasons not to depending on the job and few reasons why they have a significant benefit in residential falling scenarios. Don;t mean to bust on you Reg. YOu know I have tremendous respect for you and your work. Mostly just differences in style.. Of course I like mine better ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hardly big wood Dan. So long as its spinning around away from me, its insignificant. I like tip and mid tying because its one cut. Ive done it forever. Monkey see monkey do ? Only an idiot would copy something he doesn't understand. Idiots aren't made, nor are they my responsibility. That was Jared falling. Hes a humbodlt guy, from his forest fire fighting days. That's the standard falling cut out here, not a conventional. Many of the west coast guys Ive worked with regard a conventional as the sign of a novice. Ill use both, depending. If that log had been solid, it would've stalled and sat there as the cut closed. Not enough weight. But it didn't, because it was a shell. Thanks

Cool. I like how the dance music, or what have you, works with the spin on the top being lowered. The stationary to the camera limb with the swirling background was trippy and fitting.

Did you plunge/ core/ drill/ probe the tree beforehand, learning the extent of decay? Trees amaze me at how strong they can be when a drum/ shell.

Very nice!
Was I seeing things or did you have your main climb line set up a bit differently in a couple of those shots. You had a redirect with a pulley and I can't quite figure out what I was looking at, might just have been the camera angle?

Good one mate. Is that a gorrila pod you were using to latch the cam on? I really need to update my style of making vids, cos helmet cam are just so damn boring.

Yeah, good one. It's so good of you and August to take the time to get all those unusual camera angles. Some great shots in there. Is that a new 540... how do you like it compared to the early ones?

Smooth work...the dragonfly was perfect.

something to think about for those that count crows:

Dragonfly Meaning

The dragonfly is generally associated with the symbolic meaning of transformation. Here are common meanings for this animal totem:

Change and transformation
Adaptability
Joy, lightness of being
Symbol of the realm of emotions, invitation to dive deeper into your feeling
Being on the lookout for illusions and deceits, whether are external or personal
Connection with nature’s spirits, fairies realms
Dragonfly totem wisdom and change

Dragonflies start to grow in water and then move into the air and fly. When this spirit animal shows up in your life you may be called to transform and evolve. Symbol of metamorphosis and transformation, it inspires those who have it as a totem to bring about the changes needed in their lives in order to go to reach their full potential.

When this spirit animal shows up in your life, it’s an indication that it’s time for change. Just like the dragonfly changes colors as it matures, you may be called to live and experience yourself differently. Stay open to the enfoldment of your personal journey.

Really nice work.

Yah in BC, cutting a conventional is a sure sign you haven't had a lot of sawdust in your shorts yet. Just the way it's always been.

Really nice work.

Yah in BC, cutting a conventional is a sure sign you haven't had a lot of sawdust in your shorts yet. Just the way it's always been.

See that... I wrote an article about the differences between the Humboldt, the conventional and open face.. Never did submit it though... I don't like doing things one way just because its the standard without really knowing the pros and cons. Personally I suck at cutting Humboldts on big wood.. Will do it when there is a reason, but it's ugly. The need for a Humboldt around here is so rare that I never took the time to get good at it... Though when taking out a top its my preferred cut and absolute must if the top is going to brush anything early on the fall.. Generally not getting into anything too big when taking tops out here ...

One reason I don't like Humboldts for falling cuts is because you can't get a low flush cut on the stump.. I like to cut them low enough to bring in the stump grinder when possible.. With the H it'll take another cut to flush and then have to handle the round... That's a lot more work, unless you are cutting the wood up for firewood anyhow which I haven't done in years....

I hear ya, but, that really is lame thinking imo. The west coasters with their west coast handlebars and humbolts...we were giving props to hotsaws101 in another thread, he's a heckuva cutter but that silly ass handlebar, frequently in the way of his cutting. And Humboldts, they are a good thing, sometimes essential, but to turn one's nose up a cutters who don't use them much?? Lol.

Great vid, Reg! Cool Reg-music, cool cuts, good stuff, thanks for posting y'all.

Fallers who use conventional cuts and short bars suck.
Isn't it lovely when life is simple like that.

It being easy, and you making it look easy, are two very different things. ;)

Always awesome to see your rigging Reg. How is all that kit you were demoing holding up? Ring and ring and the European rigging line?

Cool video.

Cheers

Heh I wasn't trying to sully up Regs thread just saying it the way it is here. I can cut conventional or open whatever. Humboldt makes things come off the stump smooth. Wrap bars you either get it......or you don't.

Ha, I wasn't trying to muck it up neither, just making a comment. "Sully", good word!

Wanna hear the most retarded reason for sawing humboldts?? In probably '78 I saw humboldt butt ends stacked up in cold decks in magazine cigarette ads, they were certainly PNW cold decks. I thought wow that looks cool, so that's how they do it out there, nice square butt ends for the sawmill. So I started cutting them into CT oaks etc. Made some mighty nice looking log butts, never realized all the other reasons for humboldts till I read Dent, and later Gerry and the inter webs. The mills here couldnt have cared less about my oh-so-fine butt ends..

Ha before the web, we had to get our info on a catch as catch can basis;)

Like Heinlein said: "Specialization is for insects."

But here's the really interesting thing Gary... note the number of folks in this thread who have said something against either full-wrap handlebars, or else Humboldt openings. They are all... to the man mind you... East of the Mississippi. So you tell me whether insects are stupid or smart (I'm starting to sound a bit like Magnus). What I mean is this: insects specialize because they are suiting their behavior to a particular environment. And my guess is that tree-guys are not at all merely succumbing to cultural pressure, but that, in the main we are doing the exact same thing, i.e. useing the best opening that suits.... wait... nah... forget all that... all you gentlemen... please forgive me... forget, please, what I had meant to say... What I NOW mean to say is that: in the main, Humboldts are twenty times better than conventionals, and full-wraps are twenty times better than half-wraps, and everybody knows it. :lol::lol::lol: Ohhh, mannn.... sorry for the piss-take Reg, but, you see, it had just been so very, very long since we have had the good-ole, (and now fairly traditional) Humboldt vs. Conventional rant. See... this is why the Treehouse rocks. You Gents are the only guys who would even care about the discussion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. Sean it had huge ganoderma fruiting bodies all around the base....so it was always going to be bad.

Fiona the tree was a co-Dom. I tied in one and redirected on the other. Chose Ddrt, but soon wishing I hadn't.

Gorilla pod Ben, yes. Had it years though and is all floppy now so I have to wrap a bungee cord around it to make it secure.

Grendel, the rings are still going great guns, no problem. The line was 5/8 yale Portland braid.

That's still the same 540 Jed.

Back