Chainsaw safety course outline.

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey,

I have a local landscaper/friend who has asked me to do a small chainsaw orientation/safety course for his crew. Something basic and just a few hours. I've been to a bunch over the years but never taught one. This will just be for limbing and bucking, no falling.

Does anyone have a template or or some kind of flow chart for something like this? Or any other advice.

Thanks

Yah man I'd be careful about this. How will it go if one of your buddies employees cuts themselves or something afterwards? With no accreditation or formalized training system lawyers are gonna carve you up. Do you have any accredited/recognized saw courses under your belt besides experience?

Document, document, document if you do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a number of course under my belt but no "trainer" specific courses. Very good points about the liability/insurance. Even though this would be a very casual course, I may reconsider or send him the info for a real course. Which I'm sure he won't do for cost reasons. I had planned on just trading him for some work around my yard. I'll have a further conversation with him and do some more digging around.

I've done a few but always for woodturners and firewood cutters.
Teaching professional use would be something else, here.

At the very least get them to sign a waiver
I'd be cautious, eyes wide open, stress that it is not certification

When I was teaching certificated courses the awarding body had 5 million liability insurance for approved instructors and courses.

What about asking him to pay whatever it would cost to have a lawyer draw up a release of liability form? Especially if you're just trading work. He could still get a killer deal. Or.....I could very well be missing something and that might be a really bad idea! I have lots of ideas. Only problem is they are typically shitty ideas!

Back