The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Yes, I think Nate was on a beach somewhere when getting a call about if he wanted to fighti a world class guy in less than two weeks.

I can't remember, but didn't Connor fight at an unfamiliar weight against Nate?

It's a strange sport with all the hype and presumably training, each saying how prepared they are in interviews, then they get in there and it's often over in a few brief minutes or seconds.

Did you see a vid of the Lawer Woodley fight? Woodley sure is a soft spoken guy, seems very self contained. The champ, Lawler, saw stars.

McGregor had that one coming, a real big mouth and up to then he was able to back it up. I know a lot of that is for show, but I like the guys that go out and act respectful before and after they smash their opponents faces in. :) That certainly leaves the Diaz brothers out. I don't think I've ever heard a complete sentence out of either without an expletive. This one's a tossup. I'd give McGregor the edge in the standup. If Diaz is able to take him down, it won't be good for the Irish fans.

Diaz has a pretty good sense of humor. Ray, I think it cuts what you don't like about him. Probably some truth in his saying that he wasn't getting his due. In retrospect, the Connor team would probably liked to have thought twice about Nate vs their golden boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Jay, they fought at 170 lbs weight which is 2 weight classes higher than his normal 145 lbs weight class.

Yes I saw the highlights, the Lawler fight was a quick one for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the betting lines are favoring Diaz at this point, Ray, because he has a significant size advantage and he has a full camp this time.

Conor is actually pretty respectful to his opponents after his fights, win or lose. But before the fights he is pretty much the master of psychological warfare by getting into their heads with trash talk, much of which tends to be utterly hilarious imo.

rDWmIkw.gif

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lKt2KRBk3zM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Getting back to what actually works in a real life and death situation:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6abY3QghzpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well time to resurrect this thread.

Just a little update on my life. We found a great gym in Oslo and have been hitting it most days for the last few weeks. The gym is Frontline Muay Thai and is also a Roger Gracie BJJ Academy. I have been training in the MT classes and sparring there and taking Haakon to the Junior MT. He is the youngest by a few years but they bumped him in there as the proper kiddies training would be boring as hell. Mind you Torstein, my youngest is moving it on a sunday at baby training.

Haakon, bottom left of the shot. Repping the old gym at the new.

Attachments

• 21942178_10154949643736696_556171335_n.jpg
    21942178_10154949643736696_556171335_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
As I have been taking Haakon up there Tuesday and Thursdays I started chatting to a couple of the BJJ instructors and decided to give it a go.

That was about 3 weeks ago. At first I was the token No-Gi guy. It is really enjoyable and very addictive. Not been this week as the kids have been off school and away in Sweden, I have been working hard, so back at it next week.

The missus has just returned from London last night and brought me a prezzie. Well, I ordered it to my house in London to save on importing to Norway.

I will no longer be the token No-Gi guy.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_6912.jpg
    IMG_6912.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 32
Nice gi, but I'm too much of a traditionalist to like the color:lol:
BJJ is fun and works quite well if one is unfortunate enough to end up on the ground.
I like the logic of it and the way there is no: " Well we do it this way, because that is the awy O-sensei did it".
That was the part of me that is not so traditionalistic, writing that.
You sure make me wish I was 43 again.

Haha.

I wish I was 23 again mate.

I like the tradition of the white gi's but for me the t was gettng a BJJ specific one. Fr. What I have seen the arm cut ffs and leg bottoms are a lot closer fit that traditional Japanese Gi's/kimonos. I am sure I would still be choked out in a 30 dollar judo Gi though. Noob that I am! ;)

By the way Stig... 43 or whatever I am enjoying the journey again.

We do a lot in life because we feel we should. This is something new and makes me feel like I felt when I started Muay Thai. Only this time it isn't shrouded in mystery... the internet is a wonderful resource!

Well the BJJ is going well. I attended a seminar by Rodrigo Comprido Mideiros a couple of weeks ago. He is a legend in the heavyweight world of BJJ.

Learnt a few tricks.

Haakon is fighting this Saturday for the first time in Norway in Frontline Muay Thai. I think he will do ok. Then Saturday afternoon we catch a flight as a family to Thailand. Booked accommodation on the beach island of Koh Panghan. Gonna train at a gym on the island and have a bit of a beach holiday as well. Then we fly back to Bangkok to train for 9 days at my friends gym. Will be good to see some old faces and get some quality Muay Thai training. No doubt there will be a few decent fights on in the BKK stadiums so I'll be making sure I see them.
Really looking forward to it.

I need to thaw out after all this snowey tree work of late.

Now that sounds like a nice way to do a vacation.

Enjoy!

Back