branch/tree defect pictures

spierotti

TreeHouser
20160424_160601.jpg 20160517_174506.jpg
Hopefully my pictures show. I'm new to the forum and I'm curious about some of the tree defects I'm running into. One is in the second pine on the right and the other picture is the knot on the middle branch. I'm curious what causes them and if it is in fact a weak point in that portion of the tree making it unsafe to climb or rig above. Thanks guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eh, sideways ha. Anyway that picture with the pines , it's about halfway up and it looks like the has a flat tire. I plan on using the pine on the left to rig and use as my tip . I'm just curious of the integrity/sensitivity of the tree above that point if I were to climb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you know what may be going on in the tree those areas?

Looks like there's evidence of past pruning. Could be a pruning wound that triggered the reaction in the wood. Perhaps a bacterial thing. Hard to say.

Yeah I might climb above it but I would not rig off it.
It looks like a perennial canker of some kind that's been there for a while...the other thing it looks like is where another branch might have crossed it at one time and been rubbing, but there doesn't seem to be anything either side that corresponds like and old branch stub, so I'd go with a canker.

Back