Alpine Magnum- 3120 or 088?

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 13K
Levi, They tried to charge me the markup but, talked them into the price I was quoted originally.

I paid 5.4k out the door with taxes, nice wheels, 3 sets of teeth, grinding wheel etc....

My storage is my garage....I wanted a Vermeer 252 on a trailer, roll up, double park, blast, go home....
but it's harder to carry a 252 through an apartment or over a retaining wall.....but the AM....

Street trees, it's a blast.

The sales guy said about 30min.
I call B.S. On that.
Levi, They tried to charge me the markup but, talked them into the price I was quoted originally.

I paid 5.4k out the door with taxes, nice wheels, 3 sets of teeth, grinding wheel etc....

My storage is my garage....I wanted a Vermeer 252 on a trailer, roll up, double park, blast, go home....
but it's harder to carry a 252 through an apartment or over a retaining wall.....but the AM....

Street trees, it's a blast.
Should've shipped it to me brother, no sales tax!

OK. Those are both good powerheads, even this dyed in the wool Stihl boy will admit. So if it were my decision, it would be all about which brand has better parts and service locally available to you.

The one i used, the pull cord kept breaking, hard to start, then gets really hot. And fumey too. Just my 2c. 880!

Come out here, and I'll show you how to start a man's saw, young feller.....

I run a bone stock 3120 on my AM...and most of you tree dogs have seen my woods ported 3120 in action--all 13.24861599 horsepower!! Taint nothing much that slows it down!

Levi, re post #21: Get another sales guy..... the oil tank must be bone dry and washed out..... the clutch has to be removed to allow the sprocket has to be changed to a pulley, different muffler, if the 3120 is used, and the belt has to be adjusted just so....not a slam dunk...

OK. Those are both good powerheads, even this dyed in the wool Stihl boy will admit. So if it were my decision, it would be all about which brand has better parts and service locally available to you.

Wait wait wait what?! Did just read B giving the nod to a Husky? Are you OK? Are you feeling well? Is the Earth going to explode soon? :lol: Just busting balls B.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, it sounds like that might take more than 30min. Going by Burnham's logic stihl gets the nod.

Is you access really bad, Levi?

AMs look perfect when you need them, but also look very, very hard on the body, but I've never run one.

Yes Sean they are! With the backyard thru the house work I been doing they are invaluable ! But I'd hate to use one all he time, lucky cos I'm the hired him and don't need to :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean, the access is usually pretty good for us, we're thinking it's a good place to start for several reasons though. It would be nice to stack up a bunch of no access stuff for the winter from our jobs, other CO.s and muni's too. Maybe get a 252 one day.

Levi, I think Nick said his guys do 20 minutes on the AM/ 20 minutes off, or something. High vibrations.

Elm have twisty grain (maybe Jay can explain). I could imagine them being hard to grind, but don't know. Have you done them? Do you have a feel for the different local stumps?

You can't beat power when you have access.

Yummy...
efb797941474eec507199e0dcc1b21fc.jpg

Hmmm.
42ad58f9c32ec225d2a1f88ba9a1f645.jpg

Where is it?
82f35b2bdff675a9ef4e14637447eb9e.jpg

Ha. Burnham. That finished product was before I started digging..... ended up finding this unknown utility under it....I have a good repoire with the city....called them and they pardoned the HO'S empty tree vault.....though burned him for not having a tree removal permit.

bbbe1a025a337246e14073542f122866.jpg

4576868b98d7e895d7cd35bfc45e2d11.jpg

Ended up grinding below grade, backfill ing and still getting full payment.

The teeth were dull anyway.....dodged a bullet.

Maybe good to have to clean around the stump for the AM, with the city utility history having unknowns.

What digging tools are you using? A mini 2.5 pound pick-mattock is good, as well as the full sized 5#. Cutter mattock maybe for rocks embedded in a root.

It's imperative here to dig first.

You don't know what's in there.
Could be a gun.

Also, the AM dulls in an instant.

Pulaski, shovel and a serious ass axe mattox I think it's called. I'll get a picture.

Stump removal is either digging, chopping, grinding or pulling.

probably a cutter mattock. The pick mattock and mini mattock are really good. The mini is small and nimble. the full size a brute. Both trail building tools from days gone by.

Sawsall can help.

Ha. Old Irish told me to get a sawsall and be done with it all.

166103665ce7fa09a4ee4f455bcd382d.jpg

I can't believe the times......I'm on hold and checking social media and Tree Housing at the same time.......

Back