Alpine Magnum- 3120 or 088?

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 13K
L

Levi

I've noticed some folks in the house run the Alpine setup.
Which power head did you choose and why? Thanks.

Alpine don't recommend the 088/880 as a powerhead, at least not in the UK. The stihl powerhead is the TS cutoff saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. We were quoted about 5k for one with the 3120 and about $5400 for one with an 88.

$4100 for everything except power head, they must get a good deal on the heads.

Ha! Dealer said only compatible with 3120 or 088. Plus I think shipping across the pond would kill, sorry Mick.

Sounds like a sweet saw though, just hang it next to your nice crosscut!

Can't demo. Got to put down 1k to get on a 3 week waiting list.

I've watched the carbs on Stihl go to poop over the last 10 years....

A husky rebuild is 1/2 a Stihl. I love Stihl all day....Husky makes a good 372 and 395....

I bought the Husky for my Alpine because I've just seen alot of shit 880's out there.

Who knows? I bet someone with an opinion will pipe up.

I agree about the 372, great saw. Honestly anything new scares me, I buy rebuilt stihls from a guy in town, they're real nice.

So, if you guys care to share, about how long does it take to grind say a 20" Maple stump?

Holy crap! That's a minute. I wonder how long it took the fella in the rotator to grind out the stump that looks to be 6' plus. Have you seen the photo?

Seriously, It's all about two things...

How sharp are your teeth.....? Gotta scrape rocks and other lames outta da way.

and What's the access like?

I've done 3 jobs with my AM and almost have it 3/4 paid for....

If HP will beat you, then a tow behind will smoke you,
or a tracked carlton beast, remote control....laughing from
his armchair in the shade and snorting at your noodle arms flying all crazy.

Time and a place for everything.

When I really get impatient, I have a 44 with a 24" carbide chain.....Then I just blast away on the buttress roots and pull it out.

That's real nice, 3 jobs 3/4 paid for. Are the numbers I put up similar to what you paid?

With the stihl powerheads we were running,switching to a chainsaw was not an option,no way would a 20" stump take 2-3 hours ime. No maple here really but I couldn't imagine taking that long,im more aggressive with it than that. Its far more versatile than any other grinder and is rather qwik too,depending on the operator apparently 😆😆 it's by no means a production tool but has it's very own niche application.just sayin,where i worked before for 8 years we ran em regularly that entire time...

Back