new used spurs

Those are nowher like the ones, I tried.
Those were more refined , but likely just as crappy to climb on.

Ugghh, medieval's the word.

No wonder you are scarred for life, tell me you don't use those any more

Buck ti's...buck super wrap pads steel inserts..poles for me...my fav and have had geckos and own kiwi klimbers......bucks still king ... IMHO...but preference

Yes, back in Bermuda for a few months...I had forgotten what humidity is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After looking at the pictures of the double spiked things I feel pretty good about the Buckingham spurs I got! Seems like the double spikes would gouge chunks out of the tree, kind of like a chisel. I've been going up about 6 steps and pulling the spikes out to simulate gaff ing out. Not the same I know but just getting a feel of using my hands and lanyard to hold me and standing back up. I can't imagine using a saw and having that happen. Drop the saw and hang on? Does anyone have stories? I'd like to hear how you handle it.

I've never had both gaffs cut loose at the same time when I was running a saw, but I have had one go now and then. I just did the same things I always do when a gaff slips...lean the other way, and quickly set the loose gaff back into the bole. It never has seemed much of a deal to me. Always keep control of the saw, with both hands. The rest will take care of itself. If both gaffs go, bring a knee up between your hips and the bole, and push back against the bole with the body of the saw to tighten your lanyard.

Before I start to run a saw while on gaffs, I make sure things are all settled and firm, firmer than just when ascending or descending. I make sure I'm not moving around left to right much, not wallowing the gaffs around as I cut. If I need to reposition myself, I set the chain brake and then do so, get all settled again, then recommence cutting. Just stay tuned into your situational awareness. It's not anything to weird out about.

Somehow I seem to know without looking when one of my gaffs is borderline set and might let go, it was happening on the casuarina I cut down the other day, they are VERY hard and I have long gaffs, lots of ribs and flutes in the trunk so its can be tricky to set both just right. In that case I know one one is well set, my lanyard or flipline is secure, and if/when one foot slips its not a surprise.

They came with pole gaffs Raj. Which are better? I'm thinking tree gaffs as the name implies but I've read where both are OK depending on the tree. Today while using them I took about 8 steps and impaled my climb line! Afterwards I thru the rope over my shoulder but it still messed with me. Any advice besides paying more attention?

Pole gaffs are great in some trees. Tree gaffs in others. I leave the rope in a rope bag on the back of my saddle, preventing tangles below, and extra work for the groundworkers, or run the rope over my foot. I can feel the rope on top of my foot. I generally slide my spur up the tree to a large degree, but unconsciously, and step down. I don't lift and stomp. I don't like fighting my spurs out. You can set them way more deeply than you can use, then you're just fighting yourself.

A 540 wrap of your lanyard can help in some situations. It provided fall-arrest, along with different, sometimes better attachment with more stability.

Back