Identity theft?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basically, I was waiting for a bid when Bank of America called and said someone
has a pending application for a business loan for $20K with all my information.....SS# DOB and phone number.

Yikes.

I called and placed fraud alerts with all 3 credit bureaus. That should be good they said.

Bastards. Not you, but them.

Good thing it didn't go through. When I did my taxes last year I noticed I had been paying someone's cable bill in Texas. Dish network payed me back.

Dang! What da Hell? That's a trip...

Something I learned today......if enough credit card applications are filled out with the correct DOB, Name and SS# and incorrect address......the 3 credit bureaus will begin to associate the incorrect address as your most recent address on file......as equifax thought my address was Ventura Blvd in Tarzana!

Where in the world is Tarzana California? Answer: armpit of LA.

Good Jesus, save us from ourselves before we ruin it for our little babies.

Tarzana is in the west valley. Some nice homes in the area, people in the entertainment industry, etc. Wonder if efforts will be made to catch that person?

You can 'Freeze ' your credit with credit agencies and you need to unfreeze it to get a loan or open a credit account.

Clark Howard the financial guy pulls for that pretty heavily. (Info on his website. )

Not tried, but happened. Wife had her identity stolen and we received bills for such . Fun fun. :/:

I guess not......ok next point.

You know that if a lender has your name and address they have access to your credit file......all your credit card numbers, license number, SS#...... everything.

Do you think there are dirty lenders?

Merle. That's the product they sell you....a credit lock.

I call bullshit. I have to deal with...now lock my credit report from dirty lenders.

AMERICA THE GREAT big pain in the financial ass.

Deva yes it may be BS. $10 per credit agency to freeze credit and to unfreeze it when I want to apply for a loan. Three agencies, $30. Worth it as insurance to me. I have heard of people spending three years and countless headaches and frustrations to get identity theft cleared up.

It's like being sued and defending yourself for two years when you have done no wrong. :(

Thanks Merle.

I got the credit lock today after being on hold for 30 minutes....thank god for speaker phone and internet.

What did she have to do to resolve it? Sounds like major PITA.

File a police report. Then it went on from there. Took about a year to get the creditors to understand it wasnt her with copies of the police report sent out.

Filed something with the feds to get a ID card to prove who you are being everything was locked down on her social then.

Back