tree pruning

onepaw

TreeHouser
Good evening. I was wondering when the best time of year is to prune/trim trees. Tried finding a thread on it but no luck yet. It seems like spring would be the worst time because of the sap flowing but seeing all the dead branches now that the leaves are back is making me anxious to try out my new saw! I don't want to hurt the trees in the process. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Early spring, well before they leaf out, is as good a time as any. Winter, during dormancy, when there are no bugs and a clear view of the canopy structure, also good. Early Summer can be rough, as the tree just spent all this energy on leafing out, and are expecting a nice return on that effort. You can prune away dead stuff pretty much any time you like.

I'm sure somebody around here has a bit more experience with trees down your way than I do. ;)

Out of curiosity, what are ya pruning?

I prefer mid to late summer, plenty of photosynthesis going on and plenty of energy to start wound closure. Also easier to see what's dead and what's not ,then winter if necessary.

Early spring is to be avoided for the reason Grendel said, also I find everything is so tender you end up knocking off buds and new shoots as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. There are lots of dead branches and twigs on the trees around the house and barn. Mostly oak, black walnut and maple. I'm just anxious to try it out. Beenclimbing and working on positioning and now I want to try some trimming. Just taking it slow while i learn.

Good thanks. I've got a new handsaw and chainsaw I've been itching to try. The handsaw first then advance to the chainsaw as I go. No desire to do tree work professionally but I would like to learn for my own experience. The forums here and YouTube help but I'm wondering would a training class be the smart way to go and if so what kind do I look for?

Get some books by a chap called Alex SHIGO...or if you are a youngun, Google him.

Always remember, you can always take more off, but you can't put it back.

Know your trees, know what they are supposed to look like, and try and prune so they still do when you are finished.

Cool! I looked up shigo and read a bit for the last half hour. It's exactly what I want to learn about. Opens up a new world. Thanks bermy! I appreciate it

Thanks for the heads up butch. It's a silky zubat and it lives up to its reputation in all the reviews I've read! I've been cutting low dead branches with both feet on the ground and the thing is awesome. I got a sawpod to carry it in when I get up in the trees. Figured it might be better if it's on my ankle as opposed to being on my saddle with the sheath it came with.

It's easy to cut yourself with a handsaw in a tree, because you are often closer of your work and don't have many choices to reposition (or don't want to).

The saw can jerk on the wood and get you sideway like any saws for home work, except that it doesn't give a simple scratch but it goes directly to the bone.
The main way, though, is to cut the limb sooner than you expect. The saw cuts so well, that it finishes the job before you know it and you don't have the time to stop your movement, the saw cuts through and ends on a knee or your other hand (or rope or ...).
You think that you have all the things under control but not that much. It can get you even if you take care.
I know it, all my new saw-pants got their first scratches by that way.

The gloves can't do much to protect your hand, never put your hand near or under the handsaw, even if some wood is initially between them.
For example, this stupid small limb just 1" out of reach over your head. The other limbs are too thin to step on, so with a hand you catch a small crotch just under the target to stabilize and drag yourself a little, while you extend at max to cut the taunting limb. You can bet that the holding hand will soon be unhappy to do this job !

Take special care, this tool doesn't need a powerful engine to hurt you.

Ditto what Marc said!

I have matching scars on both sides of my kneecaps and a nice collection on my left forearm and hand.
Very luckily I have only hit myself with the zubat, never caught myself while in a cutting stroke.
I always wear gloves and trousers I suffer to think what some of these cuts would have looked like direct to bare skin!

My Silky Sugoi skipped down a piece once, about 6 inches which seemed a safe distance from the cut. It went thru the thumb-nail of my left hand, to the bone. I got it x-rayed and cleaned up the next day at the orthopod...the hydrogen peroxide used to boil out the crud from the wound bubbled like a volcano when I put my thumb in there.

Handsaws can be bad juju.

I second, or fifth, the motion on the handsaw being a wound maker. Great way to see if your heart is still pumping.

Tree pruning is a good topic for discussion. I've got a lot to learn regarding fruit trees. We just don't have many of them here in North Dakota, which greatly limits my ability to interact with them.

Pruning of fruit trees is a special topic. Some fruit trees set in the Spring. Others in the Fall. Knowing which species you have and what the customer wants is extremely important.

Joel

Gary that sounds like a bugger of place to get cut... and Fiona also but I just have this special queasiness about finger nail injuries...

I some times use a loop runner choked onto a handheld section to be cut, its more ergonomic as you don't need to use as much arm extension-just hold the loop when it pops off, you can then re position for better stability before chucking.

Its just another example of the little things you can pick up whilst watching others at work, you can also clip the runner onto a stub or such with a biner (generally easier to hold the runner in hand with a biner anyway) and then manage the piece with both hands once the saw is out of your hands. I also have my handsaw attached to its scabbard with some thing similar to a coiled piece of telephone cord-lets you make a cut and then drop the saw instantly after- I picked this little trick up from watching the same guy- its possible that others do the same.... these little things can make life much easier. I need to get a retractable lanyard for the handsaw for better housekeeping. Its also a safety thing, one of the ground boys copped a dropped zubat right on his nose one day- fortunately he didn't get the teeth, still busted his perfect nose

I've been reading about proper cuts and how trees compartmentalize injuries. Really interesting stuff and stuff I've never even thought about. Around here I see so many trees topped and they never look good after. Seems like a bad thing to do to the tree. I'm going to try some trimming tomorrow. Got a white Oak I've climbed a lot and feel comfortable in. Figured that would be a good place to start. Sounds like a cut by the saw is inevitable but I like the idea of using the loop runner to hold the branch. Lots to learn.

up here we don't touch oaks this time of year because of oak wilt.

page from the Missouri botanical garden

and yes.
watch your ass with that zubat.
especially after it gets dull and you start to put more pressure on the cuts.

i would suggest finding a nice shitty box eldar or some other junk tree to climb and cut.
linden/basswoods are a nice tree to learn on.

black walnuts are out this time of year same as oaks.
really any valuable hardwoods are best pruned when they are dormant.

I do the loop runner trick often, very useful.
I tried the telephone cord lanyard for my zubat but found it got in the way too much and I juggle my saw from hand to hand all the time. Got rid of the lanyard, don't miss it.

well in oaks, up here it's cold and a fungal agent is less likely to infect the freshly opened wound.

"Pruning deciduous trees in general should be avoided in the spring, as this is the time when tree buds and leaves are growing and food reserves are low," according to Don Kissinger, a DNR urban forester.

Back