Retractable roof for chip box

Right now I've got wooded sides on my truck held in place by c channel. The top is a heavy duty poly mesh tarp that rolls up. I have a metal bar in the end that fits into notches at different spots. ( 1/2 3/4 and full coverage) it holds the chips in just fine. Roll it up if we are loading wood back there or having somthing dumped into the truck. Soon I'm gonna redo it and frame out a super structure that's a little taller and stronger. That way I can put the ladders up there and run the tarp under it.

I'm curious about the walls of an open top truck. Pictures of construction or whatnot?? I'm imagining that they have to be mighty beefy to handle the leverage of logs and chips.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This is what it currently looks like. This summer I think I'm gonna rip off the sides and weld taller channel on there with a couple cross members to hold ladders and strengthen it. But I haven't had issues with logs or chips pushing the sides out.

+1 on updates. Good bump... for me. I had it in my head I will build something similar with a retractable roof, removable sides. I picked up a mesh cover at princess auto for $60 or so CAD. See how long it lasts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spoke to the owner of Jmac trucks about his setup. And that is about extent of the progress.
My original plan for the roof system was a lightweight frame with mesh tarp bolted on. A large piano hinge on the front with an electric ram cylinder to stand the top vertical.

That hyd ram is a good idea if you thought you would never have trees etc over the loading area.

I could see a slide forward roof being easy enough to make strong though.

Back