Sena industrial

Hey Gary, good video.
Yours are slightly different than mine, I've got the ones with the round volume dial...are yours a later model?
Pairing process is the same though.

SMH10R...smaller I think...lower profile. I think it was DMc that pointed me to them. I think they are actually an older model compared to the round ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Their setup and innards are the same, just put together differently. Pros and cons to each.

Attachments

• IMG_0666 (2).JPG
    IMG_0666 (2).JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 25
I've never seen the need for comm units. We just don't talk much I guess. Everyone knows what to do and when to do it without being told. Even on crane jobs, we have a quick chat before we start but then it's pretty much everyone simply does his job. A few hand signals perhaps now and again but not much conversing.

Old saying...you don't know what you don't know.

As good as your team might be the ability to get attention or help when needed is a big plus with the Sena's. I was recently 60 feet up an oak and saw Alex taking the long walk down the woods to get something out of the trailer. While he was inside the trailer I mentioned to him to bring another certain piece of gear we needed...likely saved me hollering something hard to hear/understand and saved him a long slog back to the trailer. He was out of sight but still reachable. We don't gab, just work, coordinate needs, etc. Until you have used comms it's hard to understand.

I am 3rd on our local Dive Team. We use "rope comms" always during searches for bodies or evidence...the diver is connected to a rope tender on shore (or a boat). They send tugs back and forth as the search progresses...1 tug, OK...2 tugs, let out rope, change directions...3 tugs, found the target...4 tugs, come get my ASS, trouble here....etc. It works but is pretty primitive and can be easily thwarted by obstacles in the rope path (underwater stumps, trees, etc).

Our new full face masks are complete with comms...they activate as soon as we go under. Takes a bit to learn to use them well...sometimes have to coordinate hearing with regulator noises...but being able to verbally stay in contact with other team members when on a search is a big plus in safety. Just being able to hear a guy's voice/breathing helps estimate his stress and fatigue level.

Voice comms in treework can have the same advantages...climber or groundie...each has a unique perspective of the work site and can often see/foresee dangers the other person does not. A little warning can go a long way.

That's my take, anyway.:D

I've never seen the need for comm units. We just don't talk much I guess. Everyone knows what to do and when to do it without being told. Even on crane jobs, we have a quick chat before we start but then it's pretty much everyone simply does his job. A few hand signals perhaps now and again but not much conversing.

That's funny. So your new guy showed up first day fully trained? Awesome. :P

That's pretty good!:D

Senas are pretty awesome to work with. Until you have tried them some seem to not get it. But I'd be curious to hear of anyone who's gone to them and then moved away from comms?

I keep talking about getting them, but the complexity puts me off, you have to buy a certain helmet and fit the things yourself I think (if I’m wrong, I’m wrong, don’t ask me to go back through this thread!)

What I want is to be able to buy the lot, pull it out the box, put it on my head and go.

Mick, thats pretty much what I did, I'm not particularly techie but practical...so putting them into our existing helmets and earmuffs was not difficult. Two Petzl vertex vents and standard earmuffs.

Watch the treestuff video on pairing (and Gary's) and you'll be in business in no time, honestly it took me maybe an hour...and I was watching TV at the same time (Bondi Rescue ��⚓����)

Treestuff will install them for you as part of their service. I just talked to Pat at Treestuff. You choose the helmet you like and you check off the Box on that page that says you want them to install it and I think they only charge maybe 20 bucks to do the installation. You can get both helmet and Sena from Treestuff

But if you already have a perfectly good helmet, it's not hard to do it yourself. They are selling the DIY sets on treestuff.

I keep talking about getting them, but the complexity puts me off, you have to buy a certain helmet and fit the things yourself I think (if I’m wrong, I’m wrong, don’t ask me to go back through this thread!)

What I want is to be able to buy the lot, pull it out the box, put it on my head and go.

If complexity includes understanding the pairing process and the finicky aspects of same you might like the newer 30K model. It automatically pairs to other units in its vacinity.

I installed mine on 'normal' forestry hardhats. I had to do it myself but it wasn't overly complex by any means 3-4beer process at best. Also for those abroad sena units are available through pretty much any motorcycle part retailer online or in store. No need to buy them from treestuff or any other tree supplier in particular. I got mine from a online motorcycle parts place here in Canada.

Mick, way easier than tree work. Just takes time. More wine/ beer, more time. If you have clean workshop space, half an hour per helmet. If there are only two of you, it's super easy.

Having a headband comm-headset for a crane-operator saves time on a job with big bucks per hour for the crane. Beyond the increased ease of solid communication with the crane operator, it sped the job up, paying for the CO-headset on that first job.

Yeah I know, you’re all absolutely right.

You wait till I get ‘em, I’m going to be such a bloody bore about it!

It's not like you have the other fellow in your ear all the time. One touch of the big button instant on and off for comms. So you can still muck about in silence/privacy all you want and just turn them on briefly to communicate.

We use radios all the time for crane pics, especially blind ones. Apples a d oranges yes, but if visibility for signals is even a question, it's the way to go.

Back