Sena industrial

I wish they'd come out with a replacement for the breakage prone SPH10. We broke two yesterday and have a third that won't charge (4th unit that won't charge).

I don't know that the muffs will be that much hotter than the SPH10s, that might be a viable alternative. They'll likely be more comfortable also.

Coms make picking up debris with the grapple truck far easier, driver and loader get to stay in their seats. We're on our third load for the day. We hauled 21 loads the first two days of this week.

Good find, Dave! I'll be interested as well to see the prices.

Perhaps the jog dial being on the muffs would be a more sheltered and convenient place, rather than on the back of the helmet where it's easy to tap and temporarily lose contact.

I am game finally put them on two helmets of mine and can't imagine tree work without them please keep us posted.

Later this summer and, if i remember correctly, $299 a set. Interestingly, Sena designed these specifically for our industry. they saw what we were doing with their product and designed these to meet our needs then recognized their potential in other fields. They are pretty excited about them.

Nope, just a sore throat from shouting a lot.

We've been playing tree charades recently, I can hear the groundies but they cant hear me, so I mime what I want and they have to guess!

We just bought 3 SMH10s for our crew. Such a huge difference in efficiency, rather than the shouting/ hand and arm signals. Those industrials will be on the list for when these decide to crap out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's unfortunate. You can get a pair of SMH10 or SMH10r for under $300 and they work well and last a long time.

Smh10 + a nice climbing helmet + ear muffs= ?

It's probably a decent deal if you want to wear a hard hat.

Sorry just checked, still need to buy a hard hat or helmet

So, I have a few pairs of the new TuffTalks. I've been running them for a few days and so far they are pretty nice. Functionality is pretty much the same as the SMH line with a few additional features, beyond the obvious, that i am liking a lot.

1) Battery - The unit comes with two batteries and an external charger so you can be charging one while using the other. but, you probably won't need to do that because the battery lasts forever. seriously, I'm on day three of almost constant use and the battery hasn't died yet. Also, you can run them off of 3 AAA's if you want, though talk time is considerably less.

2) The ambient noise feature is pretty cool. If you are standing around talking face to face or need to hear something, no need to flip them up, just hit the button and it pipes in the ambient noise. It's a little tinny, but pretty nice.

3) Two Antennas. if you're going long range or out of a decent line of sight, the long antenna greatly improves performance. The small one is nice and compact and works well, though.

4) Noise cancelling. It seems to be even better than on older models like the SMH10. maybe its in my head but it seems to be more active in that if a guy is next to the chipper you can actually hear the chipper noise lessen after a second.

5) Intercom. It is a true 4-way intercom. One unit can now connect to three others without the clunky bridge unit. Much easier.

6) The Mic: Mounted on a metal boom and articulates up and down and front to back. Also easily replacable.

The cons:

1) For the helmet mounted version, the cord that connects them is a little short. Its fine in a KASk or a Alveo, but in a traditional suspension helmet the muffs don't quite swing back far enough before the wire starts pushing down on your head. An extra three or four inches would solve that nicely.

2) A little bulky and heavy, but honestly, i quit noticing after about 15 minutes and certainly worth the advantages that come with this system.

So, are they worth the price? As was pointed out earlier, when you take the cost of a SMH10, add helmet and ear protection, your pretty close to that mark anyways. the ability to easily swap them between different peoples helmets without having to stew in someone elses sweat is priceless.

I got pretty good at setting up the SMH10's on a helmet but it still took some time to get it right and it was always a bit messy and not quite perfect. For me, the positives are worth the cost.

If you have been using the previous units, you know how much they can impact safety, stress levels, productivity and these just make it far easier to use. i haven't had a crew or crane operator yet that hasn't loved them. In fact, my local crane guys keep hounding their boss to buy them some!

Back