Fishing 2016

Jeez, Willie.
If you ever want to set up as a fishing guide, I know a bunch of Danes who'd gladly pay for that.
I may do some guiding when I retire, for now I just go for fun. We were in a guide boat there, guy I've known for years. I try to go with a guide every year to pick up bits and pieces along the way. I can comfortably take 2 Danes down the river at a time and glad to do it. Let me know when you'll be in town next

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What we call Kingfish is Seriola lalandi, you may know it as Southern Yellowtail - a sub species of Yellowtail Amberjack. It's one heck of a fish as you likely know. I assumed the names were the same but then googled after you asked. Looks like you get some decent catches often there Ray, is there much commercial fishing or heavy recreational fishing in those same waters?
Gotcha, I thought they might be a jack. Not much commercial pressure anymore, only weekend recreational, but it can be intense at times with people coming in from Tallahassee, Atlanta and the like, one reason I rarely fish on weekends. During the week I can fish all day and rarely see a boat.

Joel, I'm not crazy about the A.J.s but they are pretty good grilled or smoked. Grouper, flounder, rock bass, cobia, snapper and Dog Island mullet are my faves.

Great catch Willie! I think you're the fisherman of the month too.

Thats some mighty good eating, Willie, wow.

Chris, do you free dive when you spearfish??

Yep Cory, its illegal to spear with scuba gear in my state. There maybe exceptions for pros but for recreation its banned. I now need a full length wet suit if I'm to get some more sessions in before the water cools down for winter, we had 23 C through summer and now its 21C.

The perks of being self employed- that freedom :thumbup:

Yes, yes and yes!

Not only for fishing.
About 10 years ago my karate dojo hired a BJJ instructor to come over and teach for a week.
The guy started out by saying that since we'd paid him for a week and he liked teaching, he'd be available when ever someone wanted a go.

So I asked my boss ( Who is me) if I could take the week off and just train.
Boss said, "fine with me".

Nobody else was able to do that, they showed up in the evenings, so I had the guy for myself all day.
Fantastic!

Never been more tired than after that week, but sure did learn a lot.

Chris, free diving/spear fishing must be a helluva trip! Got some stories?

Stig, what do you think of bjj?

Wow they look some cracking fish ! Here in the uk your lucky to get one or two fish all season unless your fishing stupid money beats , would love to visit Oregon for many reasons but if the fishing is like that it's definitely on my to do list!
had one fish last season I think I put in a good 80 hours in for it!

Cory its pretty cool, much more of an interactive adventure with pretty colors compared to line fishing. I've only been out around 5 times. I've got no kills but that's not what its all about- I can't shoot a fish unless I can ID it as a decent table fish and it has to be pan sized at least.

Hi Matty, welcome aboard. Commiserations on the fishing conditions in your area.

Wow they look some cracking fish ! Here in the uk your lucky to get one or two fish all season unless your fishing stupid money beats , would love to visit Oregon for many reasons but if the fishing is like that it's definitely on my to do list!
It's not always like that, we get skunked some days too

Ha, Matty f, that is cool! Bad ass avatar too!

Cory its pretty cool, much more of an interactive adventure with pretty colors compared to line fishing. I've only been out around 5 times. I've got no kills but that's not what its all about- I can't shoot a fish unless I can ID it as a decent table fish and it has to be pan sized at least.

That is so cool. How is the breath holding part going for you?

I don't go to the ground unless forced to, but for that nothing beats it IMO.

That's cool, Stig. Do you train it still or just pretty much that one week?

ee760282d22b5aac3739ed604746383d.jpg

Happy days Willie, awesome.

Cory yeah to be honest I'm not skilled at holding my breath at all, but the fish aren't all down deep and you can spot them from above. Getting in and out without being battered against rocks by the sea is fun, trying to walk in flippers is totally uncoordinated lol

That's cool, Stig. Do you train it still or just pretty much that one week?

A week will do nothing for you, gotta keep it up untill it is ingrained in muscle memory.
So, yes, I roll regularly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tripletail! Caught about a dozen yesterday morning out of the kayak and kept one for supper. One of the best eating fish that swims and a great fighter as well. Tripletail are a pretty unique fish with a habit of floating on their side like they're dead. P5190689.jpg

Back