Fishing 2016

I liked the part in the movie, "One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest", where Jack Nicholson steals the bus and takes the other patients from the mental hospital on a joy ride and they all had a fantastic fun time. A great movie if ever there was one. Ray taking the nursing home folks fishing made me think of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love that Scott, you got me and I remember that scene Jay, that was a great movie.
The folks out at the nursing home raved about the fish and were so grateful, made me want to cry. Some of them are forgotten people, no visitors, no hope of ever going home. My wife is so good with them, she takes time to visit every resident, knows them all by name and they love her dearly. I had a wonderful conversation with one very interesting gentleman for nearly an hour who had been a fisherman and a diver with some great stories about giant hammerhead and bull sharks at Boca Grande Pass. I would love to take him fishing again, don't know if it's possible but I'm going to try. Speaking of sharks, I need to take and post some shark pics, I see it's shark week again on Discovery Channel. Caught a dozen 5-6 footers a few mornings ago while tarpon fishing and hooked some real freight trains that I never saw.

Middle fork, such a nice day on the water...wife came with me on this one, she took the pics ;)

001.jpg

Thanks Jay ;)

Yes, Super dry right now and there a major forest fire just up the canyon ....its the trail head fire in foresthill, went East over on El Dorado forest side now, its the way the winds blowing....

It's a blast Mick. You got it right, get a breath, go down and get 'em by hand until you run out of air. Depending on the tide it could be four to about nine feet deep.

I could never keep scallops alive for very long back in my reef tank daze.

Do you use a weight to get down to the bottom quicker? That works GREAT!

Love scallops. Great pics. 8) @Limbrat

Just know them as bay though. The little tasty small ones.

The bigger ones like half dollar not so much on flavor. Cant think of their name off hand. Maybe I just call them sea.

Son caught a nice perch at the local res the other day. I caught a eating size channel and 5 others with crappies.

perchjd.jpg

I could never keep scallops alive for very long back in my reef tank daze.

Do you use a weight to get down to the bottom quicker? That works GREAT!
Scallops need conditions to be just right, that for sure Butch, if the water gets too fresh they'll move out. Once you get a few in the bag you're good on the weight, if you get too enthusiastic and don't dump it often enough, you'll have a hard time getting back up to get air.
You're right C4F, these are bay scallops. The offshore scallops here are "calico scallops". Where those things they call deep sea scallops come from I have no clue. Nice yellow perch BTW! They don't venture this far south, good eating?

I never was good with those things, I had one when I was shrimping and put all kind of wild looking critters, squid, hog chokers, mantis shrimp and all manner of fish in it but one penny sized blue crab will eventually kill and eat everything in the tank.

Great pics Ray!!
looks like the kids having a bunch of fun!

I like the name of the boat..."River Rat" ;)

When free diving for abalone, we used to hang a gunny sack from the inside of an inner tube, then put the abs in there. You could kick around pushing the tube when searching, and the weight of your load wasn't a problem to lug around. From a boat things are different, but kicking in through the surf with a bunch of big abalone would have been impossible without the tube. I guess you just unload at the boat when your sack gets heavy, but still it seems a tube could be useful.

Jay, we stay within a few yards of the boat for safety, plus it's the law unless we tow a flag so we're always within a few kicks of being able to dump them. If you were snorkeling out from shore, which is possible in some places here, the tube would be the ticket. Tell me about the abalones, I've never seen one.

Ray, Northern, California Coast, where I dove between Santa Cruz and San Francisco, was home for lots of Abalone. I say was because it was a long time ago. They were divided into size restrictions depending on the different shell color types, which I guess indicate species variations. Pry bars were sold with lines etched on them that you used to measure from the tip that showed the minimum size per color that you could take. I recall blacks, yellows, and reds, we mostly found reds. A lot of people hunted for them, you can't take them with scuba, so the more easily accessible areas were picked over. We had a spot, I think the limit was five, probably the total limit, but five large Abalone is a lot of flesh. I'd say roughly starting at 200 yards from the beach we'd find them in pockets in the rocks interspersed between sand. Out far enough and deep enough they would suddenly appear. I don't know if was from being picked over that they were so far out, or they like the deeper water. The coast gets rough up there, perhaps a factor. Pretty deep, maybe starting at around 20-25 feet. I think we always got our limits pretty much once we found their area that day.

Surge could be running pretty strong out there, and the wave action getting in and out. Kicking in loaded up was slow. Young and diving a lot made it possible for my buddy and me. White sharks breed out there too, there were sightings, The Farallon islands further out is a known Great White habitat, but oddly we seldom thought about it. I've thought about it since, seeing divers killed in the area on the news.

A fantastic food, being a big muscle you slice it thin then pound it, bread and fry up in a little oil for a mere few seconds until a white milky substance comes out. With a freezer full we'd go on ab eating killing sprees, a nice memory for me. Kind of a similar delicate taste to lobster. A little lemon juice and sublime! Over here they are tiny compared and people eat them sliced raw like for sushi, which I feel is a waste. Frying brings out the richness. Pretty high in cholesterol, but burning a lot of calories to get them. This photo will give an idea of the size. Probably a red. The fellows rightly smiling.

Attachments

• 1338563614_7615_P1000908-1.jpg
    1338563614_7615_P1000908-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Jay, pretty fascinating stuff. It sounds like the meat may be similar to conch. 20-25 feet is a pretty good free dive if you're having to hunt and then pry something like that off of a rock. You must've been in tip-top shape. There is a tiny mollusk that clings to scallop shells that looks amazingly like an abalone in miniature, a little bigger than a BB split in half.

No doubt, some guys as much as thirty. I was more in the fifteen to twenty foot water diving abs. I left many on the bottom due to bottom time. They like the bottom of the rocks so you had to search for them

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back