Fishing 2016

Ray must be photoshopping his pics, nobody catches fish like that besides the guys on the covers of fishing magazines, and they are usually Asian.

Fishing North fork of the middle fork a tributary of the middle fork of American river, hooked up a couple small bow's, fun day getting away from tree work

Very rough hiking though, hard to get to next fishing hole...to deep and swift to cross this time of year

y4jZgjn.jpg

Thanks Ray

Panther martin spinner, gold with orange fly tail works the best in the rivers here...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Took a couple of friends out today for a little relaxing fishing(not!). It blew 15-20 most of the morning then calmed a little and we got into some amberjacks and mangrove snapper. The nickname for amberjacks is reef donkey. After you catch a couple, you'll feel like a donkey kicked your butt. The fightingest fish in these parts by far. We released all the AJs. The pelicans in the first pic know what's about to happen!
P5070684.jpg P5070678.jpg

That is something. Oh, I would crave a New York Strip, medium rare, just salt and pepper please,....after a while. But man o man I would have fun catching them and cooking them on a stick back shore side.

Just salt and pepper please. Nice bottle of beer, a fire and the sun on my face. That would be about perfect.

If you tried some fresh snapper, grouper or cobia, you'd probably throw the steak overboard Jim. The sharks are really starting to show now as the water temp warms up. I had about a nine footer hooked up for a few minutes. We chum for the mangrove snapper and inevitably the sharks show up too. A lot of big barracuda this year too but we haven't lost a fish to them yet.

I've been seeing bulls in the bay Cory, that was a tiger offshore yesterday. The tiger shark population (along with most others) has exploded in the last few years due to a complete ban on harvest.

The rule makers in Florida seem to be knee jerk reactionists swayed more by political pressure than facts Jay. Here in the northern Gulf of Mexico there are more sharks of every species than at any time in my life and I hear it from fishermen and divers on the Atlantic side too. They are quick to close seasons on fish and wildlife but very slow to reopen them when proven wrong or after that particular species has recovered. It took several bear attacks and great public outcry to allow a harvest after a forty five year closure. I imagine it will be the same with sharks.

Took another day off and hit the bay today. Had a couple of cobia, grouper, flounder, triggerfish, mackerel and mullet along with some released red snapper. Caught the biggest cobia on bass tackle and it took a solid hour to land him. We must've lost 20 big grouper in the wreck. They are brutally powerful in that first run and know where to go. Several of them swimming around out there have to look like some of the kids I see today with all the metal in their mouths;)
View attachment 70016View attachment 70017

Ray, the grouper at the bottom of the fish looks like he might have been nicked by a spear. Is there alot of spearfishing up there? Really nice catch by the way! :):)

I went spearfishing and line fishing a few days ago. I didn't hook or spear anything but had a good time nonetheless. We chatted to some local spear fishers at one of the spots- one of the guys mentioned that here last week a 3m Great White robbed him of a large Kingfish he had speared. That would be intense, yes indeed.

Intense to say the least. Chris, a kingfish here is a king mackerel, is it the same there? Jewfish, or Goliath Grouper have learned the game here according to my diver friends and steal fish off spears at every opportunity. They are big, up to 600 pounds, very aggressive and completely protected. They eat my hooked fish far too often as well.

What we call Kingfish is Seriola lalandi, you may know it as Southern Yellowtail - a sub species of Yellowtail Amberjack. It's one heck of a fish as you likely know. I assumed the names were the same but then googled after you asked.

Looks like you get some decent catches often there Ray, is there much commercial fishing or heavy recreational fishing in those same waters?

I love the fight in the amber jacks! Looking forward to a horseshoe beach day next weekend. You pulled a good catch. Do you not like the jacks to eat?
Smoked is my favorite!

Jeez, Willie.
If you ever want to set up as a fishing guide, I know a bunch of Danes who'd gladly pay for that.

Back