Fishing 2016

Interesting. We had a underwater welder in our family, cousin of a cousin or something. He was working on a damn and had some sort of mishap and drowned. A good friend of the families son is one now too, but I haven't seen him in ages. It pays quite well I've heard.

Yah. I remember the guy as a young feller, sort of wondered at the time what his future might look like, rougher upbringing and a very shy kid. Didn't see him for a handful or two of years and he sure grew up. Travels the world working and playing and bought a home in Victoria BC. That's where Reg is at now and he could attest to the incredible cost of housing anywhere near there.

If saturation divers get old, they are usually pretty crippled from nearly having the bends so many times during their working carrier.

A friend of mine was a oil rig diver, cut his teeth diving for the navy during the Vietnam conflict. His brother was the dive tender that looks after the divers working for the oil companies....monitors the gauges when the guys are in the decompression chamber. A job with heavy responsibility. Diving in the Nam rivers was dangerous, he said it was so murky you could barely see squat, demolition and everything was pretty much done by feel.

Caught this guy last week and not sure what it is....mabey small mouth bass?..Rainbows and German Browns are about it in these rivers...

Middle fork american river and the water is cold...hmmm I guess he could have come up from lake down stream

006.jpg

whitefish_lake.png

Uh is that illustration a whitey or a bass?

When I was a kid, my family and I went to a very orthodox Jewish family's house for dinner once. The man there was a rabbi. Strictly kosher food, of course. When the Mrs pulled the tray that she was cooking out of the oven, it was all fish heads lined up in some rows. Everyone side glanced the rabbi for guidance on how you are supposed to eat them. I think we mostly filled up on some rice, but there was barely anything else. We might have stopped at one of those five hamburgers for a buck drive-ins on the way home. My brother and I talked about it for years.

Well, how do you eat a fish head? Kind of weird to see it back in California I suppose.

I always kinda thought fish heads and rice was common in Asian countries. Sorry if that is not the case, but I have seen plenty of movies where that was common.

No, I don't see many fish heads for meals here, except on platters or what not with the rest of the fish.

The rabbi's method was to turn your head a little askew and suck on the thing sideways. I can't remember further details.

9ft. 6wt. TFO BVK rod and Sage reel...Rio Grand WF6F line (weight forward 6# floating ;) )

great lake a big rivers set up

031.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is that what you told her after you bought that new outfit? Nice looking rig Scott.
I hate to admit it but I lost one of my favorite spinning rods overboard a couple of weeks ago. I had a smallish grouper on and about the time I got it out of the rod holder a stinking jewfish grabbed him and snatched the rod right out of my hands. I could've cried:cry:
My Shimano Stradic is just about worn out too so I'll be doing some shoe shopping myself very soon:D.

Hey big Ray!...yes, I did LOL...nah, she's cool with what I buy ;)

Thats a bummer you lost your favorite rod, does sound like you need a "couple pairs" of new shoes..lol ;)

My first attempt to fish the Rubicon river didnt happen, big black oak on rd, and I didnt have a saw with me, I know right?

A couple weeks later, with 3 saws, wedges, 2 fly rods and a .44mag I attempted to get down that 5 mile long rd that takes 30-35 minutes without trees in the way...well 2 hours later and 4 trees cut up and moved I made it to the infamous Rubicon river.."the die is cast" or "beyond the point of no return"...I swear I could hear trout jumping on the way down..;)

First tree in rd...
005.jpg

071.jpg

2nd tree wasnt bad but the 3rd tree was big, a pondo that uprooted probably 120ft long was across the dirt rd and driven in the dirt about 3 feet deep...It was a bit nerve racking not knowing what was going to happen when I started to plunge cut this feral pig of a pine.

Im glad it was me and not someone else with there big box store saw trying to cut this up, could have been ugly, every cut I made that trunk came thundering down...goodness

A lot steeper than pic shows...
068.jpg

069.jpg

small pondo
006.jpg

Last section of rd a little rough...
007.jpg

Finally down and parked it was time for the next hurdle....blackberries, poison oak, skeets and lots of big bear scat on trail.

Very cool old suspension foot bridge that crosses river, hope its safe.

012.jpg

037.jpg

088.jpg

018.jpg

This is how I roll in remote areas...Smoke wagon or Hogs leg ;) ;)

045.jpg

The Rubicon is 60 miles of "designated Wild Trout river" no planters, with only 4 access points or so to get down to river

Using a cricket fly (terrestial) letting it drift got me into fish on, and boy do these wild trout put up a battle.

021.jpg

076.jpg

Tried to go down stream to get into some other pools but rocks were "slicker than a frogs belly"..just rained here last week with lots of moss=dangerous
could only spend a limited amount of time there but hope to be back soooon

028.jpg

Back