Grapple Advice Needed Please

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 198
  • Views 23K
It's better than nothing, and the price is relatively low, but it is 32-33 years old and terribly small all around.

Financing could be tough on it.

Nice starter. I can't get away with something that old in CA. Nice thing is, you can eventually take the grapple off and set it on something like Carl has when you are ready. You would probably have to pull a personal loan to finance it though.. I know out here, the older stuff they refuse financing on.

14' kinda small. I built a 16'8" rear mount grapple trailer, thats about as small as id go. When i figure out what i want to do in life i contemplate mounting it on a 550 size chassis and stick to the small side jobs.

Are you stacking brush on a trailer? Have you thought about a grapple trailer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Small is really what we are going for. That's the best sized rear mount that I have found for what we need.

Brendon, yes we are stacking brush in a 16'x7'x5' trailer.
We have thought about a grapple trailer but I'm into the idea of not having to tow a trailer everyday.

That's an ideal truck for my operation. I would jump on it. Sure it's an older truck but easy to work on, and looks to be in decent condition plus it's a 4X4!

Good call, and yeah, the 4x4 would be clutch.

I was thinking for $15k it could be worth doing. The bed is super short (didn't realize it was that short)... It won't take much to fill it up, a dump trailer could haul more, but such is life. On second look, the rear axle placement is better than I thought.

4x4 usually means really slow top end speed. That HP level means slow all around. It should be able to haul a tag trailer behind it for more payload (at the expense of sucking on hills more).

Wheel loaders are a monster...push trees, pull trees, lift guys up for power pruning or to put them in a tree or on a roof, move mats, move chippers and trailers and tow behind stump machines, nuke stump grindings and piles of rakings, move and load wood, skid logs and trees, pull up fence posts, stuff a chipper with leaders or with a massive pile of hand-stacked brush in the grapple bucket, pull stuck trucks, reach over fences to get logs, pull speared limbs outta the ground, rake up large piles of chippables or rakeables, all while leaving no trace on turf. I'd be lost without one.

There is no way in hell I would make that drive! More than willing to pay for shipping!!

That's an ideal truck for my operation. I would jump on it. Sure it's an older truck but easy to work on, and looks to be in decent condition plus it's a 4X4!

Same here too Rajan. Short wheel base works great in our woods. 4WD is huge. Of course CA would make me retire it like yesterday.

Right! 90% of my jobs I would have to forward out the wood a good long ways before I could get a rig like Carl's on the job site. Don't get me wrong Heavy Iron rules but it's all market dependent.

That truck would be ideal here too, with a dump trailer on the back. There are zero huge full size loader rigs in my area for tree work. Plenty of self loading logging trucks, but rarely to never a use for them residentially. Too much logging in this area for any large clearing work to go to anything other than a logging outfit.

I think we're going to make an offer. I wonder, are there any treehousers close enough to go have a look? For a handsome fee of course...

Back