Grapple Advice Needed Please

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 198
  • Views 23K
L

Levi

We are looking to buy a grapple truck this spring/summer. Really I have no idea about makes and models of grapples, all I know is I want something to pick things up and put them in the truck.

We would like to have a smaller truck, maybe the size of a large chipper truck with a rear mount grapple. Trouble is, the only rear mounts I can find for sale are massive trucks. We work mostly in residential neighborhoods and would like to have some decent maneuverability. CDL is not a big issue as my brother has one and I could most likely get one (if I can get around the one eye problem)

So I am just looking for any and all advice in general for this new endeavor, please and thank you!

PS we are not adverse to building our own as we have easy access to the tools and skills to do so but this notion is a bit overwhelming for me.:?

I have no advice for you but am rooting for you and your new truck!

My advise would be just start searching the web to get an idea of pricing and research which models suit your needs and are durable. Such an acquisition takes time and research and a good helping of luck

Aren't Scandinavian made grapples considered desirable quality? Those are the only ones that I can ever recall seeing in these parts, though domestic made cranes are everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right on Cory thanks.

I hear ya Paul, just can't really find what I'm looking for online. All of the "smaller" ones I'm seeing are cab mount, don't want to settle for that.

Jay, as far as I know everything from Scand is good, thanks for the reminder!

I would think to get a rear mount you may need dual rear axles.

Flushcut, have considered that, might be the best option outside of building something.

I think you're right Cory, dual axels seem to be a must for rear mounts.

Flushcut that sounds like what I'm looking for. Sorry not sure of you're first name.

How about a Kboom instead of grapple better reach and height? The 650 I saw was a franken truck the grapple was off of a tree farm forwarder and mated to the truck.

I thought it was Rajan but was confused by rajelectric, I think he's Peter?

Anyways, a kboom is certainly an option, probably preferable. We don't have many massive trees here so even a 40' boom would be very effective. I'm not hung up on a clamshell, could get by with slings, also not opposed to a frankentruck.

Alright, should have it dialed now. Thanks fellas.

I really want a k-boom but would be happy with a grapple truck. Wish I knew more about them except that they are both outta my reach for the time

I thought it was Rajan but was confused by rajelectric, I think he's Peter?

Anyways, a kboom is certainly an option, probably preferable. We don't have many massive trees here so even a 40' boom would be very effective. I'm not hung up on a clamshell, could get by with slings, also not opposed to a frankentruck.

To add to the confusion I go by Raj as well. And no I am not Slovak but have Slovak friends.

What is the origin of the name Rajan?

I run the kind of truck you're after. There's a whole thread about it somewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 67
Peter I remember seeing photos of your truck, that would be a dream truck for me, great work. Is it a side dump as well?

I'm inspired. That's exactly what we need, cabover and all. Could do without the side dump but it would be nice. Thanks for sharing, I'll find the thread.

Back