At least it didn't blow up in all that heat

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
What do you think, I need to replace some gaskets? :|:

I finally got around to assessing the damage to the MS880 in the shop fire. Crank, cylinder and piston, carb, and maybe the clutch are still good. Ignition might work, but a little charred. Finding a case and all else would create the possibility of getting the saw working again. The plastic was all melted and fused together, kind of a pain to get it disassembled, taking most of a day and the pry bar was my friend. It didn't smell too good either. I foresee a lengthy project, but do hope to have it running one day. The saw only had a few hours on it milling. Wonder if Stihl could provide an assembly excluding what I have to use, it seems like a big hassle to order parts separately. Dealers around here are pretty useless too, or they want to rob you.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 88
Get a cooked one or used worn out and use your p/c on. I bet you can find that some were.
Make sure bearings are good and all parts are there...

I would change seals, grommet and hoses no matter what they look like.
Then you have a saw that lasts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl, that model saw must run around four grand here. Mine was a trade with a friend from the states who could supply new saws. Not exactly sentimental, more hoping to save on expense to have a functioning 880.

If I could find a used one, Magnus, rare to find those here. Agree on changing what you mention, most of none of that is salvageable anyway, all the soft things melted pretty much.. I'll be checking out ebay for a possible used saw that can be shipped

I found parts for saws a lot more rare than this. I know there is cases, broken saws and parts. You just need to find places to look and ask.
Other saw modelss you could look for that also work help speed things up.
I am not very good at these but from IPL the cases on 088 look very much the same.

Dang jay.

My 660 thought it was a piece of wood and dove into the chipper early this year. Needed complete new handle assembly, every tiny little piece, throttle, springs, etc. In the end i wish i scrapped it and bought a new saw. I told the dealer if parts exceed $300 let me know. Was like almost $400, he musta thought that $100 didnt matter. I woulda just bought a new one.

Yours seems like a project. I couldnt imagine what all those parts would cost.

Want some of us to look for a used one for you, Jay.

Thanks for the thoughts. The fire was bad, but thankful that it wasn't worse as it easily could have been.

I'm hoping that with those main parts still in good shape, the cost of putting another together wouldn't be so bad. I'm not sure with saws, but it seems that purchasing assemblies adds up to a lesser charge than buying individual parts that make up those assemblies. I can't much foresee Stihl supplying the case assembled without a crank shaft though. As Magnus suggested, finding a used saw in decent shape is probably the best way to go, then exchanging what I have that might be in better condition. That way would be also an asset in having something to take apart so i know how to put it together again. :|:

Stig, thanks for the offer to see if a used saw is available, I much appreciate that. Let me scout around over here first to see if something turns up. I'm going to put in a call to the Stihl company office here and see if they might have a suggestion. There used to be a real helpful guy in their service advise section that would send me schematics and whatever, and he really knew his stuff. It's been some years since I spoke with him though.

Thanks on the chair, Virginia, part of a new set that just came off the assembly line. I did love shop class, MB, always watching the clock in the classes before, couldn't wait. Aren't shop classes often no longer offered in the states these days? It seems tragic. I remember in high school that auto shop was about the only thing that kept hoodlums in check.

On that vocational stuff it did several things .It did keep some students from dropping out .It attempted to get students to an entry level in whatever they studied .It did not do nor ever will bring them up up to "Journeyman" status.

First of all little manufactures or service companies are looking for cheap labor which it did provide .Larger firms which are unionized did not consider their education as being ample and did not recognize the students as being properly educated .Just the way it is and most likely will ever be.

One thing that I remember from shop, is that you could sometimes have a more casual relationship with your instructor compared to other teachers. For some of the kids I think that could be rather meaningful. I had communications with my jr high wood shop teacher long after I left school, on up into my mid twenties and he had retired. He was a great guy and always was there for us. Once we had an open house for parents and he asked the students to bring their past projects in to display. Most didn't bother or forgot, including myself. He expressed his disappointment and I still feel bad for letting him down.

I agree shop teachers are just good people. They had a different view on kids and could tell who was worth a damn. My senior year I engineered my schedule so I had 6 1/2 hours of study hall every other day and I spent all of that time in shop ( metals and auto ) working on my Jeep cj5.

How much heat do you reckin that saw took? I am just asking because they may have lost their temper and might not be worth putting into a new case.

I don't really know how to judge the temperature, but when the water from the hydrant hose I was using hit the burning saw, the fume ignited gasoline shot out of the tank like a fireball on the fourth of July. The plastic is all melted and the handle is completely gone. It was definitely very hot. The carb and cylinder aren't scorched though, or just a little on the cylinder fins on one side. The rubber boot between the carb and cylinder is unfazed. The long milling bar is rad bent and the aluminium mill it was attached to was half disintegrated. The jug might have lost temper, but I get a sense that it is probably ok. The piston wasn't scorched at all, no discolouration.

Your piston and crank might be ok but aluminum is pretty fickle stuff it doesn't take much heat to mess it up. I wanna say heat treat for aluminum is around 600*

Your cautionary is well noted though, I'd be bummed to get the thing together again and it wasn't meant to be.

Yah imo piston makes a nice ash tray and the rest make for a nice story my brother in law lost his workshop in the summit fire here a couple years ago and due to the heat there was some distortion on his 044.Luckily with the hand tools most were craftsmen and i was able to warranty them for him. His 4x4 toyota looked like a lowerider leafs dearched from weight and balls of 10lbs molten glass in the bottoms of charred doors....i wouldnt waste money on the saw heating or on fire like that i would be checking runout on crank and everylittle tolerance To spec before i spent any money on parts.

Just found this thread Jay.
You're crankcase is shot from the melting, flywheel even melted. The crank, P/C will take alot of heat and may be salvageable.
Try the Chainsaw Guy Store in B.C. With Canadian prices and direct shipping to Japan you may find what you need here. I think he has some used 084/ 088/880 in stock with warranty.

http://stores.ebay.com/THECHAINSAWG..._sid=60861972&_trksid=p4634.c0.ml15313&_pgn=1

Back