Morel Season

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all.

It's almost that time of the year again. Those little camouflaged morsels should be getting to poke their way through the leaf litter any time now. Surely I can't be the only one that looks for them. How do you guys prepare them or keep them?

...Love Morels only ever found two which sucks as they are the best. Generally work a few regular spots for Chanterelles after. Friggin WISH I had good regular spots for Morel. I still try though every year , think the "near Apple Trees" thing is myth. At least here.

You guys are lucky ... I generally don't eat any other fungies other than Morel and Chanterelle. I hear they get big ones in Ohio and the like.

That's the thing there Jimbo , Morels actually have flavor and texture. Alone , w Game ... Some people stuff the caps. Wild Delicacy , free except for your time gathering.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FFZero, they almost taste like meat. That's the best I can describe them. I'm lucky as hell and they come up in my side "yard" that's easy to check.

They sound good.

I can just imagine zipping the back straps out of a still kicking antelope with some morels.

I had no idea puffballs were edible before Stig told me. If a puffball will grow ilup here maybe a morel would too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd heard of them but never looked for them until I takes some up about ten years ago. After that I did some internet research and found out that they're just about the easiest mushroom to identify, so it was game on. Once you find one, they're are usually more right around it.

They grow from 1400 feet here on the valley floor to way over 5000 feet, gives us a long season as they move up in elevation

7a754c5810ea568d75c45def2256c7c5.jpg

March 24th, pretty good haul.

Holy moly! Nice catch? uh, harvest Willie!

You have to buy a licence to sell them in Montana. Not a class in which are poisonous, just pay the fee.

I am probably gonna go look for a mushroom now. I think they would be good on a strip steak.

My luck would be to eat a bad one, so if I make a bunch of dumb posts (dumber than usual) call a doctor. Means I have been mushroom poisoned.

Soon here. Found about 4 lbs last year. We need rain here. Soil temp needs to hit 58 and wet

Yeah it's still a bit cool here as well. Seeing that I'm now playing catch up on county work I'll be around a lot of creeks. Always wet areas to search. They should be coming on in a couple weeks.

You guys should have a little cast iron pan with you, so you could cook them up when you take a break from killing trees. All you would need is a little butter in your lunch box and a salt shaker.

What about you Jay? I bet there are lots of tasty fungus growing in Japan. Seems like it would be good mushroom country.

Back