Need help identifying if a sentimental tree can be saved.

arcsum68

TreeHouser
Hi all,

Hoping I can get some help here, as the "arborists" I have had come out are guessing at best and really only want to cut things down (even though I have told them over the phone what I need help with).

I have 2 trees that have splitting bark and what I believe to be Schizophyllum commune.

One is a Chinese Pistache and the other one is a very sentimental Japanese Maple and the trees are in Sacramento CA. After doing my own research I believe the trees to be sunscalded, I have 3 trees all doing the same thing on the bare trunks that get the most sun.

The Pistache and Maple also have fungus on them. The Maple was a tree we transplanted when our friends lost their home, it was symbolic for their mother and had her ashes placed in the hole prior to being planted the first time. When it was first planted it had been neglected and was very tall with little foliage as the owner was depressed from the loss of his mother. Japanese Maples were her passion.

I highly suspect the Maple is toast, the black stuff is pruning seal that someone from Home Depot told us to use. Its the only tree on my property not showing signs of life.

Please let me know if theres any hope, or if it would be better to just bite the bullet and pull either one of them.

Thanks all.

Maple Close.jpg Maple East Side.jpg Maple West side.jpg Pistach close.jpg

Attachments

• Pistache Scald.jpg
    Pistache Scald.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 71
:O Not looking so good... wouldn't hurt to just wait and see but they look toasted, especially the Maple.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:O Not looking so good... wouldn't hurt to just wait and see but they look toasted, especially the Maple.

I assumed as much. As you can see we are in the middle of refinishing that planter in the middle, if it needs to come out, were were hoping to do it now.

I would not be using tree paint as by the time you put it on pathogens have already entered the wound and you are just sealing them in by using the paint. I think both are pretty toast but I could be wrong so I would just wait a bit.

I would not be using tree paint as by the time you put it on pathogens have already entered the wound and you are just sealing them in by using the paint. I think both are pretty toast but I could be wrong so I would just wait a bit.

That's what I have been reading, though to be fair the spores on the trunk only appeared this year. Last year it was just the bark splitting, no other signs of issues.

What? I kinda thought this was a joke/troll thread....

The tree in those pics are DEAD.

:( Nope, not a joke. As stated above the tree was fine last year other than the bark splitting. I also believe it to be dead, but I wanted to get a few opinions on people who perhaps knew more than the little I know about trees.

Thanks

The Pistache on the other hand, it's budding and is always a slow starter.

That said, we have lived in this house for 8 years (tree was existing) and its pretty scrawny and the trunk is maybe 6' with a few branches reaching up to 12-15ish feet. This is listed as a moderate growth rate tree, so that seems awfully slow.

Unfortunately both are toast I hate to say....were they not getting enough water thru our drought? This happends a lot out here in nor cal.

If you want to keep some of the Symbolic/memories, you could cut some of the smaller wood into Coasters for your table and a few of the larger pieces for end tables, just a thought

Thanks for posting ;)

Unfortunately both are toast I hate to say....were they not getting enough water thru our drought? This happends a lot out here in nor cal.

If you want to keep some of the Symbolic/memories, you could cut some of the smaller wood into Coasters for your table and a few of the larger pieces for end tables, just a thought

Thanks for posting ;)

Thats a hell of an idea, thanks!

The pistache is right along a drip line that we kept going through the drought. Not a ton of water, but regular water.

The maple was probably getting overwatered as the drip line ends there and I found it had been leaking at little bit.

Cut them off near ground level and they may come back, as a bush that could be pruned back into a tree again.
I've seen lots of our maples and other deciduous trees do that.

My coworker has 12 Japanese maples and was showing me pics of his that he did this to. 3 years later it's 8 ft tall.

Was there a tree removed near by?
Looks like a lot of sunshine and weather suddenly appeared to the trees.

Not exactly, but that's what happpened.

I was in a pot in a very shaded backyard for several years, moved to a very shady front yard for about a year, and then transplanted to a very sunny location for the last 6 years. It was pretty much mistreated by lack of effort it's entire life until we got it, and then we let it get sun scorched not knowing any better.

When we first got it, it was very tall but had almost no foliage and the trunk was very thin. It was super happy when it got planted and started growing so rapidly it could not support its own weight and had to be supported, plus all the weight was on one side because it was always reaching for sun.

See a lot like that here. Someone removes a large limb or tree. Changes the exposure. Transplanting boo boos.
Same with harsh pruning too. Somebody removes too much foliage and scalds branches.
Deer up here are wicked about rubbing small trees too. I use PVC perk pipe for that ... slit at the perk and remove when the tree gets a little older. Amazing what lower limbs will protect and how vulnerable a tree will become with out.

Water and mulch, hope and pray. No real risk of damage or injury if they snap off, as a worst case scenario, just keep kids away. Check the planting depth... proper root collar/ crown depth. Check for Stem Girdling Roots. Google Images!

Ended up pulling out both trees. The maple has a sapling coming up out of the ground off one of the roots that is now potted and seems to be adapting well, so we were able to salvage something. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

It's all good, if the little guy makes it we can start over and still have a sentimental attachment. The other tree just never wanted to grow, so now we have replaced it with something hopefully more suited to the space it's in.

Good report, arcsum...thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like you adapted to the reality of the situation. Glad you have a volunteer sapling left to work with.

Back