064 stihl

toyotadadon

TreeHouser
Was looking to buy a 66 found an 064 he said hell take 600 after he had it posted for 750 have yet to see it run what should i be looking for with this particular saw..is this dinosaur worth it etc.
IMG_6201.jpg

I got the joy of running on once. It's hard to explain, it's smooth power. Not the amped up saw of today, but just a nice steady pull.

Hi Andy!
Long time no see.

It is the last 90 cc Stihl that was made without having to work around environmental issues.
Probably got a better power to weight ratio than anything made since.

No idea.
I'm Scandinavian, I don't know shit about prices in the US.
Personally I'd never even consider buying a used saw.

These are a bit old to be work saws now and will find their way to collectors shelf very soon.

Price is for you to decide. If you like the asked or paid price than it is right for you.

I see part of the chain brake lever is broken....
Get the owner to demonstrate the saw running and cutting by Skype.
If the saw was mint or totally rebuilt with OEM parts $600 USD is about right.
Good 85cc saw

It will rattle your knuckles to the bone. Vibes are pretty bad on the ones I have used.

Decent saw though. As for price I have no idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hrmmm i must be a collector who works his collection seems like all my saws are that era. They take awhile to die and rebuilding is easy ive rejugged a few....just never seen a 064. Im leaning towards a 66 grunt though
My antiques
20160323_205649.jpg
20160323_205701.jpg

Attachments

• 1458791715840-1427860497.jpg
    1458791715840-1427860497.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 79
It will rattle your knuckles to the bone. Vibes are pretty bad on the ones I have used.

Decent saw though. As for price I have no idea.
Rich you must have had a saw with a broken a.v. mount or a rough chain. The 064 is just as smooth as a newer MS660,460 or 440.
My early 064's from the 80's were just as light as today's MS460. My first 064 at 14.1 lbs was lighter then a 046 at 14.3
When the 066 was introduced in the early 90's I had a hard time getting used to it as it was quite a bit more bulky and heavier then the 064. Even with the dual outlet muffler the 066 didn't have that much more grunt.

20160324_093914-1.jpg 20160324_093813-1.jpg

I agree, the one I ran was smooth as butter. Just a smooth power to it, not the fast revving of today's saws, but a slow grunt that just keeps pulling, lots of torque.

Rich you must have had a saw with a broken a.v. mount or a rough chain. The 064 is just as smooth as a newer MS660,460 or 440.
My early 064's from the 80's were just as light as today's MS460. My first 064 at 14.1 lbs was lighter then a 046 at 14.3
When the 066 was introduced in the early 90's I had a hard time getting used to it as it was quite a bit more bulky and heavier then the 064. Even with the dual outlet muffler the 066 didn't have that much more grunt.

View attachment 68908View attachment 68909

That could well have been the case. One guy I worked for had a 064 and an 084. I took down two rotten poplars for him one day. As I was driving home I did the one handed palm on the steering wheel as I was going round the roundabout. Something cracked in my wrist and by the time I got home I had some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. I ended up going to a and e that evening and it turned out I had split a tendon sheath in my right wrist. There could have been a number of causes but the doctor thought vibrations being the main cause.

I have steered away from the 64 and 84 models since then. But more than likely it was the bad state of the saws I have used if you guys think they are smooth.

Then again, I think the 460 is rough as boots on my poor old hands. ;)

Yeah I noticed that too after running a 372 and 395XP Husky with spring mounts for a few years, then going back to a older rubber mount Stihl.
But I used those old Stihl series for over 25 years and never had a problem with vibration.

Stihl today has two good big cube models, the MS461 and 661, (77 and 94cc ). But they still have a void, they need to built a true 85cc saw, not a detuned 660. Let's name it a MS641.

We have an 064 at Presidio....absolute beast....I'm hoping it follows me when I leave.

;)

You won't go wrong if it's in nice shape. I had a chainsaw carver show up at my door looking to buy my old race modded 064 and a couple of my 066 I'm still hanging onto.
He really wanted the 064 as it has good press lately. But I tried to convince him it wouldn't last long cutting all day because it's got a 084 carb on it and puts out over 200 psi compression.
That still didn't deter him so I just said it wasn't for sale, Lol.

I'm still new to the site but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I've rebuilt and ran several 064's and 066's and like them both. If it's completely rebuilt and shiny I would say that $750 would be reasonable, but not for a used one. To me 600 is also a little high for a used one but if he fixed it up and did a good job I would be comfortable with the price. Don't get me wrong the 064's and 066's are great saws and I would use either before picking up a new ms660 or ms661 but like another member already mentioned the 064's are getting a little old. However, they aren't that old where they can't be reliable work saws, both of the duty stations on my district have 064's for large hazard tree felling and they run great and are early 90's saws. If that saw hasn't been rebuilt then I would be very wary of the bearings and seals starting to going bad, worn piston rings(low compression) and a gunked up carburetor. Probably a good bet that the clutch springs are pretty worn too. I would also be wary of how many aftermarket parts are on it, some aren't bad but there are a lot of junk Chinese parts being sold on eBay nowadays. Immediately from the picture you can see an aftermarket clutch cover so I would check with the guy on stuff like that. Personally for a used good running 064 I would be more comfortable in the 400-500 dollar range.

Not all Chinese parts are junk. I obtained a very good muffler that appears very cleanly made and as good if not better than the original Stihl that was on the saw. The attachment holes even lined up with a little nursing! At even bucks for new you would think that something has to be wrong with it.

It will take time for Chinese goods to be up to a acceptable standard, but more people there are understanding the business wisdom in producing quality merchandise. Still a long long ways to go for everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the saw is mine made a deal i felt good about traded a 044 that needed a handle replaced a basketcase ms028 and a 029 in pieces with new topend kit. He rebuilds stihl saws so he was happy. He also does some port work so ill be calling him up someday in the future

Back