Your approach to the bidding process...

I avoid giving prices on the spot because I'm too nice. I need to step away from the situation, remind myself that I'm running a business, and not let myself worry about making sure I get EVERY job.

I bid stronger this way.

love
nick

That's a very good point, one I'm going to think about.

I often get asked for freebies before arriving, often its an sms/email saying " we'd like to book the job for Thursday but also wanted to check if you are able to trim x,y,z at the same time".

Therefore, the job is technically still teetering on the brink of being accepted based on the inclusion of a freebie, its no big deal however they automatically lose my respect.

An unscrupulous operator will say "yeah we can do x,y,z" and then charge them extra at the end of the day claiming there was a misunderstanding and the question was unclear because it didn't address costing.

Chris, are you saying they want you to also trim x,y,z for the bid amount, or just asking if you have time to do the extra work?

They are asking " can you do it at no extra charge ? " but are relying on the contractor to read between the lines.... why else ask a tree service if they are "able to trim a tree?". (Does your tree service also work on trees?)

I usually meet them halfway and say that a small amount of light work can be done at no extra charge- to set some sort of boundary that's at my discretion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You might say something like,

I think that the the crew can add that to the Scope of Work within our normal working hours, which we can add at a reduced/ fair price as an service added on outside of the original bidding process, though if it will end up pushing us into another visit, our minimum mobilization fee will need to be applied. The foreman will certainly let you know how much addition charge there will be for the additional work.

or not.

I guess that's what this thread might boil down to, how to you read, interact and come to an agreement with various personalities with various self motives and make a living and turn a profit.

You might say something like,

I think that the the crew can add that to the Scope of Work within our normal working hours, which we can add at a reduced/ fair price as an service added on outside of the original bidding process, though if it will end up pushing us into another visit, our minimum mobilization fee will need to be applied. The foreman will certainly let you know how much addition charge there will be for the additional work.

or not.

Wayyyy too wordy! 😊. I tell them:

If one or two guys can do it in 5 or ten minutes, no prob. If it takes more than that we'll have to tack on a charge to cover the time.

I'd just tell them no problem, we'll just bill that at our normal time and material rate.
I think it's better they mention it ahead of time cause we may have 2 other jobs booked for that day, better to know you may not get everything done that day than to find out after you remember you had go to the fuel depot, dump a truck, and then spilled coffee in your lap before you made it to the first job

I guess that's what this thread might boil down to, how to you read, interact and come to an agreement with various personalities with various self motives and make a living and turn a profit.

Yep, It's good to have a considered and uniform approach to the varying challenges that arise, "5 or 10 minutes" rolls off the tongue nicely. There's also those clients that chose to request extras from the branch draggers- mine are well drilled: sorry ma'am, you'll have to speak to the boss about that.

Back