Camera setup

ATEC15

TreeHouser
Been watching some YouTube videos on tree work. Anyone here records there own work?Are you using GoPro cameras or other devices? what is your field of view settings(normal,wide,extra wide, etc.)? How is it mounted to your hard hat? Would like to see some pics of your setup. Thanks!!!

I think August does some filming...

Most POV cameras are super wide angle field of view, like 170 degrees, to allow for enough to be seen in the image.

Too many variables, just get to filming. Check the tree felling vid thread, lot of those are us natives

Oh yeah, and that August something or other guy, I think he's Chuck Norris' little brother or something

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too many variables, just get to filming. Check the tree felling vid thread, lot of those are us natives

Just went through a few pages of that thread. Cool vids, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

I don't know shit about helmet cams, but my rinky dink contour roam has made me some money on youtube, by god. The biggest complaint I get from subscribers is the sound. When I was in the market, I just didn't like how the gopros mounted to the top of your hard hat...looked like I would be hanging it up all the time on limbs, not to mention that it makes a guy look like a tele-tubby. Here is how, I mounted it when I first got it:

533744_10151541021159844_141917952_n.jpg

I didn't like how my hard hat brim blocked out some of the screen, so I mounted it under the brim:

10383001_10152893650114844_6254023733825581718_n.jpg

Now it just shows the side of my face a little, along with my big ol snout, but I felt that it gave a better view of my goings on.

Not trying to self promote my channel or anything, but I have a whole bunch of video squalor on youtube, if you want to check out the scenes from my setup, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWKSbadKpcB7HZiYFgEi05g

Here is how it looked when it was on the side of my hard hat:

mqdefault.jpg

And here is how it looks now:

mqdefault.jpg

I am pretty sure that the contour company went out of business, but surely there has to be another brand that has a similar mounting style? Anyhow, I am no fancy pants camera guru, or video producer by any means, and don't claim to be, but after all, I mostly do it for the extry youtube money...hope this helps.

Here is how my GoPro knockoff (by Afunta) is mounted on my diving hard hat (shows mount only...camera is not mounted in this picture):

Attachments

• Dive TeamOct 17-2015 reszd7.jpg
    Dive TeamOct 17-2015 reszd7.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 51
Gary, I guess I should take the tele-tubby comment back. I have not yet seen the gopro mounted on the front of the helmet.

I have it mounted higher on my tree climbing helmet but cannot find pictures of that yet. It DOES get knocked around a bit on the tree helmet...have to be very conscious where overhead limbs are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a GoPro3+. Gonna try and mount it on the top like pantheraba. See how well that works. Although Tarzan view is pretty awesome, idk what type of mount to use to go under the helmet though and probably wouldn't work with the size of the GoPro compared to a tubular camera.

I'm more of a mount it nearby kinda guy. Go pro clamp thingy. I also made a pvc mount with a spike on the bottom to stab in the ground any where. Also had a Scotty fishing rod holder on it!

That's a Stihl helmet...only one I found so far that gets large enough to fit over the full face mask. It does a pretty good job when mounted on front like that.

And here is a video...some clips from trying a chest harness mount...perspective is kind of interesting. I actually got it under 3 minutes!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LSDnPN-mLeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And in this one you see both helmets I have set up...my son is wearing the purple tree helmet, top mount...the orange cord is a safety in case the mount comes loose...hopefully won't lost the camera. I have on the Stihl front mount. This is a firetower we roofed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qLhEPgrM7w0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• helmet cam - Alex firetower RESZD 1.jpg
    helmet cam - Alex firetower RESZD 1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 42
  • helmet cam - Alex firetower2 RESZD 2.jpg
    helmet cam - Alex firetower2 RESZD 2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 42
Oh yeah, and that August something or other guy, I think he's Chuck Norris' little brother or something

Haha, thanks.
Try everything is my advice, and your own style will emerge.
Always shoot hi def or don't bother shooting IMO. 1080p or better.
I think Cody's under brim mount is downright 1st-person-shooter cool but as Willie said, stationary cam placement is best. Helmet cam is too dizzying when used as primary view. Use it as auxiliary view. Cut to it sparingly.
Gary's straight off the front view is too close for a comprehensive view of what goes on around the hands.
Tele-tubby view is most comprehensive of the helmet views but I too hate how it looks and it takes a while to get used to having antlers.
Try lots of things. Use multiple cameras and you'll improve your chances of great footage.
Edit with a cold eye for brevity.
Good clips suck.
Great clips are satisfactory.
Don't hand your camera to a non tree person and expect them to keep it pointed where, how, and when, it should be.
They will fail you.
So will the tree people.
So will you.
Keep trying.
Good Luck.

Note: stationary cam (GoPro mount)
Teletubby view omitted.
fc98a17b4d8a4e4182228d4c749301c6.jpg

I don't know shit about helmet cams, but my rinky dink contour roam has made me some money on youtube, by god. The biggest complaint I get from subscribers is the sound. When I was in the market, I just didn't like how the gopros mounted to the top of your hard hat...looked like I would be hanging it up all the time on limbs, not to mention that it makes a guy look like a tele-tubby. Here is how, I mounted it when I first got it:

533744_10151541021159844_141917952_n.jpg

I didn't like how my hard hat brim blocked out some of the screen, so I mounted it under the brim:

10383001_10152893650114844_6254023733825581718_n.jpg

Now it just shows the side of my face a little, along with my big ol snout, but I felt that it gave a better view of my goings on.

Not trying to self promote my channel or anything, but I have a whole bunch of video squalor on youtube, if you want to check out the scenes from my setup, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWKSbadKpcB7HZiYFgEi05g

Here is how it looked when it was on the side of my hard hat:

mqdefault.jpg

And here is how it looks now:

mqdefault.jpg

I am pretty sure that the contour company went out of business, but surely there has to be another brand that has a similar mounting style? Anyhow, I am no fancy pants camera guru, or video producer by any means, and don't claim to be, but after all, I mostly do it for the extry youtube money...hope this helps.

Cody pard, YOU are the videographer. I like your vids, along with Lawrence's non ego trip work too.

Damn, I thought I came up with the under-the-brim camera mount. Well regardless, I really love it. The Hero session camera is the best for this in my opinion. Not as good picture quality as the other GoPro's, so I've read, but makes up for it with its tiny size, awesome mounting options, super easy one button control, and awesome audio quality which is really important to me because I use it to make training material. I literally film everything now. The placement right beside my ear means it is very well protected. I mount it upside down so the button is on the bottom. I just reach up and click the button with my thumb to start recording. And one more click to stop. The camera confirms the button presses with different beeping sounds.

Here is a quick summary of how I set mine up:

1.jpg
My old aluminum hat, GoPro Hero 4 session with ball mount, old piece of 1/4" plastic to fit flat GoPro mount, stick-on wheel weights

2.jpg
Drill matching holes through helmet and plastic piece

3.jpg
Loc-tite nuts and bolts

4.jpg
Wheel weights provide counter balance (camera + mount = 6 ounces, I counter-balanced with 5 @ 1oz weights), I know, it USED to be the lightest helmet out there

5.jpg
Fully assembled

6.jpg
I am Robo-Climber

Check out my videos at educatedclimber.com to see how she works. Cheers.

Back