Firewood

It wasn't that because I could not even get a little fart out of it on a prime .Besides that it wasn't cold enough to freeze just cold enough to make me miserable .

That’s the Mighty Newman @cory. I’ve got 40 more years of no flooding till it’s no longer considered flood plain there. I’ve lost around 15’ of property to “Newman”. The county has abandoned their of road ditch program so I’m taking that to mean that I can do the erosion control legally now. Waiting on the bridge replacement before I do anything

How much lift capacity does your mini have? How heavy is it? I'd hate to get totes and find out I'm out of capacity. My 50% lift is 1050 pounds. Machine without attachment weights 26xx pounds.

A guesstimate for a 275G tote is 1.8k# for oak. I used an online weight calculator for wood, and that was the bottom end for weight. Range was 1.8k-2.7k. Presumably dry vs green. Using the low number accounts for the air space since it isn't a solid block of wood.

edit:
The calculator I used...

Last edited:
@SeanKroll my mini is a Vermeer 650TX. I’ll have to look up capacity. I can’t move them full with green wood. I can stack to one ring down. When seasoned I’m a little tippy but doable

What's everyone's plan for ashes? At one point I had a pile on the property to use as fertilizer, but got overwhelmed and noted a new grittiness to the soil where I probably overused the ashes in an effort to get rid of them. Now I cool them a small bit at a time and they sneak out with the regular trash.

Also, what's the oddest thing you've found in your ashes? I found a 2 or 3 part bolt, bracket, clevice screws assembly that somehow made it past wood splitting completely encased in the tree wood. It just appeared inside my stove.

I spread them around the property. My stove has a removable pan in the bottom, and sometimes I'll walk across the yard shaking it out as I go. I also sometimes just dump it in a pile. This year I've been mostly doing it on the back 40(inches) where a lot of English ivy is growing. I'm curious if it'll help kill it. It's my understanding the concentrated salts can be bad for plants. We'll see. I have trees up there too, but it shouldn't affect them. In bad weather, I dump them under the holly near my backdoor. Less time getting rained on.

Haven't found anything interesting. Nails mostly. I did find a wrap of tiewire this year. Not interesting, but I'm curious where it came from.

I have a lot of 5 gallon pails I fill up. When I can drive out on my frozen hay fields I have a sauce pan I use to wing it in light coverage. Has to be light wind and I wear a mask. Goggles too. Not a fun job but it doesn't take too long.

I used to spread ashes in the garden but got away from that. Certain plants don’t like it. Now I either spread them along the top of the creek bank or on the chip pile. On the rare chance they haven’t sat in the metal bucket for a few days I dump them in my fire pit.
I ended up with a horse shoe in my wood burner once. Other than that it’s nails, bolts, and the occasional piece of wire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More common than one would think....horse throws a shoe in the field, farmer hangs it over a small branch.
Decades later, its invisible, quietly waiting for an unlucky woodcutter to hit it with a chainsaw.

Ed

Somehow my saw and splitter avoided it. I’m thankful that I don’t hit all the nails and stuff I find in my ash pan

You all get black spiders in the bottom course of firewood? They seem to nest in the bottom here. I try to knock them off cause I don't want to put them in the inferno, but they hold on tenaciously. I end up just saying "FFS!", turning them nest side up, and getting another piece for the time being.

Ha John, I'm the same way. Lotta peeps probably think we fuggin nutz. I feed most logs into the wood stove slowly to give any spiders a chance to race to freedom down the log away from the blazing heat.

About 2 weeks ago during a cold snap, I was bringing in a bunch of wood. Deep in the pile I found a large black beetle, a wooly bully brown caterpillar, and a presumably dead hornet. For the heck of it I brought them all into my shop and put em on the work bench in a corner. Within 45 min, the beetle and wooly bully were MIA never to be seen again, I've no idea where or how they went. And the hornet, which had been laying on a piece of firewood in mid teen temps, came back to life, moving his legs and locomoting around some.

I found the resilience of these creatures rather awesome. Sure, they aren't sexy megafauna but totally fascinating in their own right.

Last edited:
Back