Firewood

Delivering it is what puts one in the hole.

Cut it, split it, stack it and let the customer load it up.

If you DO deliver, do it at a premium!
I agree with the delivery cost.
Dont agree with having them load it. Calidonkey is a sue happy state. I can just see someone stubbing their toe or breaking a nail and sueing

With oil prices the way they are here, I have plenty of incentive to make firewood for heating my house.
Heating it with oil would cost me around 5 grand a year, firewood only costs me the work I put into it.
Just finished splitting 2 cords of elm, I brought home from one of the National park jobs.

Which part of CA are in you, Frans?

Stacking should be done hourly, or just dump it.

I rarely sold cords.

I sold a tossed-in 4'x8'x2' trailer for $65-75 with local delivery. I made money from the advertising leading to calls (4'x8' professionally made sign on the trailer sitting roadside) and actually getting on people's property.

I'd ask if I should deliver the wood, and look at any trees while I'm there, or can I have anyone deliver the wood (still usually me).

I stopped selling firewood a couple years ago. Too much work, all the business I need, at present, and not living in my target market area for easy trailer parking/ pick-up from the county road pull-out/ highway 101 overpass, where people sometimes advertise small boats and vehicles for sale (the one road running down the peninsula that has lots of waterfront property).

I'd rather sell/ give away from the public road off customer's property, sell than split wood.

Depends on how tou process it, and the kind of wood your messing with. I keep the nice, straight less than 20" diameter stuff. Cut it on the table, no bending, no lifting, comveyor moves it. Its nice to go into winter with some cash. Somewhere around 20-30 cord is a nice 4500-7000 with no risk and little effort.

B, I like the tarp on top of gravel ;)

Do you like the super split?

What exactly do you mean 'cut it on the table'

Btw what was that (false crotch?) device you showed in the rain few days ago?

Thanks

I park the grapple trailer next to the table, and put up to 15' long logs on it. Cut them to 18" lengths without bending over. Reach out your arms, again without bending over, and pivot your body and put them on the SS. Easy peasy.

SS is a gem, super fast, like to fast. Dont get lax and youll keep your fingers, teeth, balls, etc.

Rigging thimble, made by notch, whats becoming the walmart of the tree industry. lame

I hear what you're saying Brendon. You've done well investing in equipment for processing/ hauling, plus land.

I hope for buying enough land to have a place to drop/ process logs without concern about noise, space, etc, that is always available, rather than having to find a home for wood right now, which isn't hard. Right now, I'm only holding onto figured wood, and some oak, plus all the stacked maple, oak, etc.

I aim for a mill to process wood. We processed some figured maple for a customer to play with from his maple removal. Without the right equipment and space, there was a lot of waste of quality wood, becoming firewood. It wats painful to pull the lever on the splitter at times.

I need to find my place in the specialty wood market. I'm too busy with tree work, and way too cramped on space, to explore it at present.

I wouldn't say the firewood is no risk. Wears on a body.

Pretty easy if done right.

I'm wired for it from a lifetime of conditioning though. My dad would slap your hand if you ever reached for the thermostat as a kid. Never use the furnace. I just looked right now and my hallway temp(furthest nearly from the basement stove) reads 72. Set at 70. My living room is probably 75 and my basement has gotta be 80 in the stove room.

A lot of people say they don't like it this warm. But I do and my wife/kid do too.

I'll get natural gas bills of 70-100 a month and that's my water and cooking(ng stove/oven). I'm probably saving 300-400 a month on heat for four to five months of the year. It adds up. And there's no way I'd have it this warm paying for natural gas, if I did the savings would be even more substantial.

It's the heat I've known my whole life. Warm to hot house, crack a window/door when it's mild out.

Now I have my two stove setup(insert upstairs) and at any temps we can ever see here I can now easily keep my house 70-75. No matter what. It's a nice feeling of security in climates where it can freeze cold. And if you loose power?

If I lived in a southern climate I think I'd feel the same way. Here if I'm ever 'to warm' this time of year I can just step outside and shiver as much as I'd like.

I wouldn't say the firewood is no risk. Wears on a body.

The hardest part for me is climbing up the ladder to the grapple trailer seat, lol.

We are looking for property/farm. I have a tiny lot now, but its tidy and hidden, and no one bust my balls as im respectful of the times and length of time i split.

I dont mind the wood, and would push to do more with the proper layout. Our house is 75+ all winter, thermostat off. We burn 200 gallons a year in oil for hot water, so usually around $500 a year in heating costs. Not bad.

After 20 some years of working in nasty weather while I worked construction I too like it warm in winter .As of yet it hasn't gotten cold enough to fire up the wood stove .

Resurrecting this thread with some questions about stacking/storing.

I cut a bunch of locust trees on my neighbor's property last week and I managed to snake them through the woods to my property. I cut up the top of the resulting large pile and it's time to do some hand splitting now. I don't have a firewood shed or any covered area.

I'm wondering what you woodnicks think of piling vs stacking as it pertains to drying. And under the piles, pallets are always a nice way to go given that they some allow air circulation and keep the wood off the ground, but lacking lots of pallets, I was wondering if a tarp spread on ground would be somewhat effective while being simpler and easier than bringing in a bunch of pallets that rot away after 3 years anyway.

Stacking of course looks nice but it it doesn't have much positive effect on drying, then I'd prefer piling due to less effort needed.

Last edited:
If stacked anywhere but a low spot without a lot of water running under it, the bottom layer is merely sacrificial and won't rot in one season.

Cory, I did the pile on a tarp a long time ago, and all it ended up doing was making a swampy mess on the bottom, ruining some really good pieces. Pallet racks are the best, but in a pinch, just get some bricks/cinder blocks and 10ft pressure treated 2x4s to make some quicky racks

I have a pile on the farm, but haven't inspected it to see how it's doing. In any case, you can lay branches down to keep them off the ground a bit. Just grab whatever, and make a mat. Stacks can be a little delicate unless you got nice branches, but it'll definitely work well with a pile.

A tarp will let water pool on it. I find some low value soft wood like cottonwood (slow to rot) and stack on that sacrificial layer. I think a stack would dry better than a pile, and I don't try to fit them like puzzle pieces when stacking... well, I do, but not to fill every void. I mainly aim to stack in a stable way, so each piece of wood is putting force straight down instead of wedging apart the pieces below it. The end result is a stack that has many ventilation gaps, and it doesn't collapse easily while stacking or unstacking, and allows me to stack higher and with steeper ends. A stack has more surface area far away from the ground and a large cross sectional area. Stacks are thin and let air flow through and between them. Put the tarp on top of the stack if you use a tarp.

Lately I am all about the IBC totes. Atom splitter the logs, grab spit log with mini saw into chunks, push chunks close to splitter, pickaroon onto splitter, split wood into IBC tote. The totes are placed in rows in full sun and easily moved with mini onto a trailer, truck, or driven up to my garage for unloading. Way less handle'in. WAY LESS!
Pic, oldie but a goodie. I have 22IBC's in rotation about 7 cords Image.jpg

Yes wood dries better stacked but it's another step , you won't lose any Locust either way ... I will cut long runners for stacking of whatever is around.

Back