Firewood

Ed L

Treehouser
Sine the weather has broke and I'm unable to get it the woods to get more, thought I would show off last winters work. :D

Currently have the logs stacked on 3 landings, the first pile will be cut, split & stacked as weather permits, the rest will get done in the fall. Last count was 110 logs.

Ed

Attachments

• pile1.jpg
    pile1.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 142
  • pile2.jpg
    pile2.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 142
  • pile3a.jpg
    pile3a.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 140
  • pile3b.jpg
    pile3b.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 142
Looks a hundred times cleaner and easier than than my feller bunched pile I just finished (15 Cord of Hell). Lots of Ash which sure splits easy.

Looks good.
I was just on the phone with a forwarder operator, to see if I could entice him to bring mine out of the woods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice piles. All Ash?

There might be 1 or 2 that aren't.....

Had dad driving the truck when I moved some of them to the main landing. The ground was a little soft in the field, kept the load sizes down.

Ed

Attachments

• logs2.jpg
    logs2.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 159
  • logs1.jpg
    logs1.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 155
Damn, nice truck too. Has that thing been in MI it's whole life?

I haven't had any firewood to cut and split in months. I put up a cord and half to two cords in the fall.

Here in Manitoba in the winter burning wood to heat a home every day , you need at least 15 cords of hardwood (one cord=4'×4'×8') not 15 face cord.
Electric heat is cheap here as hydro electricity is Manitoba's largest export. I have a forced air electric/wood furnace downstairs and a zero clearance fireplace up stairs for show (but it does throw nice heat for the living room.)

HolmenTree,

I'm just across the border, just 35 miles south of the Canadian line. We burn about the same....13 to 15 full cords per winter. The fire never goes out. We light it once per year, in late September.

Once in a blue moon the wife and I may take off for a weekend, so we'll switch over to the propane furnace until we get back.

Joel

Definitely a nice 1st gen. There are a few around me, but I don't know their story. Either imported, or winter garage queens.

Mr. Beranek,

Harvesting firewood is what got me started in the tree business. I was always looking for firewood, so I'd volunteer my services anytime a tree came up for removal. It wasn't long before all of the easy trees were gone. I was left with trees that had to be dismantled......and as Paul Harvey used to say, "And now you know the rest of the story".

Joel

HolmenTree,

We have a load of Green Ash around here. It was planted in the shelterbelts (wind protection rows) back in the 50s and 60s. It's one of the few trees that grows fast in this country. It also makes excellent firewood. I burn green ash at night, as it lasts several hours in the furnace.

During the blizzards and the really cold spells, (-40) I like to burn up the Cottonwood. The cottonwood burns fast, but hot. It really keeps the house warm on those cold, windy days.

My wood burning furnace (Daka 621) is tied into the forced air heating system. It heats the entire house. I also have a hot water tube in the furnace that provides free hot water to the house for the entire winter. My electric water heater is turned off. Love this system.

Joel

When I stack my Canuckian firewood a cord is 4 ft X 4 ft X 8 ft. Not this face cord stuff that some try to pass off stacked along their fence lol.

Joel, you need a little jack pine or tamarack (larch) to get that stove nice and toasty then top it off with your ash.
We got lots of ash along the rivers too.

Back