Firewood

I burn pine in my owb. It doesn't leave much ash. I could burn 40 cord of pine slabs and not have to clean the firebox all winter. It just takes twice the volume of hardwood. I have to get rid of the slabs from the mill, so it works out ok. I don't burn pine if I don't have to.

Funny how widespread the notion that you can't burn pine is. I don't burn much, but it doesn't scare me. Gonna be a bunch of dead Ash firewood on the market here. Probably depress the price for a bit. I don't sell much but I do burn a lot. Nothing like a wood stove to warm your old bones.

Another thing that seems to help is keeping all your joints sealed. Anywhere that a little cold air can get sucked up the chimney is where a massive amount of creosote will build up. I would burn my stove hotter but it's my only source of heat and the "just right" temperature in the house is on the cool side of the burn temperature. I guess I could leave a few windows open...

I can burn pine in my furnace without any problems.
Just got to adjust the primary and secondary air feeds to fit it.

But, since the work of cutting, splitting and stacking is the same with Pine and Beech and I get almost twice the BTUs per unit from beech, guess what I burn.

We're burning macrocarpa at the moment.
There were a few rounds of Robinia in the pile from two years ago, the hubby commented on how hot and clean it burns, I remember you lot told me to save it for the firewood pile when I had a fair sized removal job...thanks :)

Pine is a yard tree around here .They aren't native to north western Ohio nor would they do well in these soils .It's good for a camp fire if you want to drive off mosquitoes .

I got a surprise on pine .In that pile of stuff Tom dropped off and never did anything with was a bunch of pine .That stuff even with a hydraulic splitter doesn't spit easily .Must have been a rather large tree because I still have about a half cord of nearly 2 foot rounds.

Got a little late season firewood today. I also got a new camera so I will be taking pictures of everything for awhile...

013.jpg

I don't miss burning wood much. Its sooo much easier to turn the dial on the wall. My house is well insulated, though.

Im behind on my personal stash. I sold all the seasoned stuff a month ago. Yesterday i screw split some big ash apart, ill use that for myself. Ive been splitting what comes in lately right off the trailer. Keeping things neat as i plan to put the house on the market next spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 38
Keeping things neat. Lol. No doubt about that Brendon.

Sean. Sacrilege bro. I don't care how well insulated your house is. NOTHING BEATS WOOD HEAT!!!

Sore shoulder from heating one home in Washington? Pfffft.

Keeping a homefire going is nothing compared to treework.

I get endless satisfaction from heating with wood.

I don't need the extra strain at the beginning or end of the day before warming up or after relaxing muscles on the way home.

The sore shoulder is from treework, exacerbated by hauling wood.

Pretty decent now that I'm out of the treework. Way less aches and pains all around to be honest.

Chimneys are pretty low key on the physical side compared to treework.

I havent read this entire post but here are some of my thoughts on firewood. It is a
Damm hard way to make a living.
I used to sell firewood and i realized that the profit margins were so low that really it barely paid for the cost of selling it. I really only came out ahead when i had practically slave labor to cut split stack load unload the wood.

I think the only way to make money is to sell it bundled. Campgrounds around here sell boxed or bundled wood at 7-10$ each. Thats 5-10 pieces of wood. Works out to about 1500$ a cord. Vrs 200-400 a cord bulk.

I have family that sells firewood. It goes about 200/cord here. It's a hobby thing for them. Crazy bugger works two weeks on and two weeks off at his regular gig and in his time 'off' he processes a crap ton of firewood. He processes up about 8 logging truck loads a year. Roughly $1500/truckload delivered to his site and he grosses 40g off the sales.

So some people make money off of it, but I don't think anyone's getting rich.

Delivering it is what puts one in the hole.

Cut it, split it, stack it and let the customer load it up.

If you DO deliver, do it at a premium!

Always thought a processor that also ceran wrapped bundles was the way to go. A bit tuff to earn back the purchase price, plus my wood always came in odd sizes. Not sure if a processor can handle every twisty shape and size

I have a hard time processing large amounts these days. But if I peck away at it a couple 10-12 foot logs a week, it adds up quick. But I only need a couple cord a winter here.
Park the truck and splitter next to the deck, I can about fill the flat bed in an hour or so.

Back