Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Firewood

B, I like the tarp on top of gravel

Do you like the super split?

What exactly do you mean 'cut it on the table'

Btw what was that (false crotch?) device you showed in the rain few days ago?

Thanks
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

I park the grapple trailer next to the table, and put up to 15' long logs on it. Cut them to 18" lengths without bending over. Reach out your arms, again without bending over, and pivot your body and put them on the SS. Easy peasy.

SS is a gem, super fast, like to fast. Dont get lax and youll keep your fingers, teeth, balls, etc.

Rigging thimble, made by notch, whats becoming the walmart of the tree industry. lame
    trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by brendonv View Post

SS is a gem, super fast, like too fast. Dont get lax and youll keep your fingers, teeth, balls, etc.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

I am amazed they market the SS. Seems the idiots that sue would have them broke by now. I would love to try one.

I hear what you're saying Brendon. You've done well investing in equipment for processing/ hauling, plus land.

I hope for buying enough land to have a place to drop/ process logs without concern about noise, space, etc, that is always available, rather than having to find a home for wood right now, which isn't hard. Right now, I'm only holding onto figured wood, and some oak, plus all the stacked maple, oak, etc.

I aim for a mill to process wood. We processed some figured maple for a customer to play with from his maple removal. Without the right equipment and space, there was a lot of waste of quality wood, becoming firewood. It wats painful to pull the lever on the splitter at times.

I need to find my place in the specialty wood market. I'm too busy with tree work, and way too cramped on space, to explore it at present.

I wouldn't say the firewood is no risk. Wears on a body.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Pretty easy if done right.

I'm wired for it from a lifetime of conditioning though. My dad would slap your hand if you ever reached for the thermostat as a kid. Never use the furnace. I just looked right now and my hallway temp(furthest nearly from the basement stove) reads 72. Set at 70. My living room is probably 75 and my basement has gotta be 80 in the stove room.

A lot of people say they don't like it this warm. But I do and my wife/kid do too.

I'll get natural gas bills of 70-100 a month and that's my water and cooking(ng stove/oven). I'm probably saving 300-400 a month on heat for four to five months of the year. It adds up. And there's no way I'd have it this warm paying for natural gas, if I did the savings would be even more substantial.

It's the heat I've known my whole life. Warm to hot house, crack a window/door when it's mild out.

Now I have my two stove setup(insert upstairs) and at any temps we can ever see here I can now easily keep my house 70-75. No matter what. It's a nice feeling of security in climates where it can freeze cold. And if you loose power?

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Unless I'm cold, I hate warm. I prefer cool...

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

If I lived in a southern climate I think I'd feel the same way. Here if I'm ever 'to warm' this time of year I can just step outside and shiver as much as I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    I wouldn't say the firewood is no risk. Wears on a body.
    The hardest part for me is climbing up the ladder to the grapple trailer seat, lol.

We are looking for property/farm. I have a tiny lot now, but its tidy and hidden, and no one bust my balls as im respectful of the times and length of time i split.

I dont mind the wood, and would push to do more with the proper layout. Our house is 75+ all winter, thermostat off. We burn 200 gallons a year in oil for hot water, so usually around $500 a year in heating costs. Not bad.
    trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them -unknown

After 20 some years of working in nasty weather while I worked construction I too like it warm in winter .As of yet it hasn't gotten cold enough to fire up the wood stove .